Best Pedal to Brighten-Up Single-Ended Amps?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GEN DAWG, Jan 2, 2008.

1. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Gold Supporting Member

Happy New Year! I've got a new single-ended combo (Gries 5) that I really like. As is the case with many single-ended circuits I've heard, though, it doesn't have as much top-end sparkle as I'd like. I've been looking at traditional treble-boosters (Beano, etc.), JFET boosters (Rockett, Fix My Duck), and overdrives known for having an excellent top end or built in treble booster (Eternity, Jetter GSR, many others). Using a Sparkle Drive right now, and like it, don't love it, for goosing treble, using a mostly-clean setting and dialing in a little drive with the treble cranked. I want to up the chime without necessarily going over into crunch. I typically use a LP Jr. or other P90 guitar and ride the volume control.

Ideas, Ye Gods of Tone?

Cheers

2. scottcw

scottcw Silver Supporting Member

Fix My Duck works great for this. I can set mine up to nail the same effect I was getting from my BJF Little Red Trebler. There are a lot of possibilities with the FMD.

3. froglord

froglord Member

RC Booster. Works wonders for my slightly-too-dark Minimat (which seems not too disimilar to your Gries, at least on paper).

4. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

5. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

6. GEN DAWG

I do have a ZVex Super Duper, and I like it for cranked-up overdrive on this amp. Used that as my base sound on a rock gig and was happy. I've found it to be a little too hot for clean / ish tones, though. I do lots of my playing in church, and I'd like something that really excels at bringing out the chime.

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

BarbEQ, RC, or Sex Drive will work great.

8. GEN DAWG

This is the kind of comment I'm looking for -- someone who's had success with a particular single-ended amp. Thanks alot!!

9. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

How about an EQ pedal like a BJFE SeaBlue EQ or an Antelope

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I think a treble booster would work wonders with those P-90's. I guess it depends on how much you're into vintage tone. If you like the standard treble booster sound then I would suggest an Analog Man Beano Boost or a Throbak Strangemaster. I happen to think that those would sound awesome, but that's me. If Rangemaster/"Beano" tone isn't your thing, then maybe an RC Booster would be the way to go. I've heard some really good things about it; never got to try it myself though. It almost seems like a cross between a treble booster and something like the BBE Sonic Maximizer.

11. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Tim/Timmy
    Catalinbread Silver Kiss - lots of top end on tap
    RC Booster
    BYOC Tri-Boost

13. GEN DAWG

Looks like a great pedal. Question: does it have any tone-shaping capabilities? Steve's description stresses how neutral the flying dragon is. Will it help me bring out the high end?

14. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

15. Billy Blooze

Billy Blooze Member

My Barber Barb EQ really brightens up and brings to life my single ended amps without adding gain or distortion - it has Volume - Treble - Mid (pull) and Bass controls - great pedal ! - Just what you're looking for !

Or the more expensive option is the Stephenson Stage Hog - really adds another dimension to any amp .

16. GEN DAWG

Here's something I did today. My Gries 5 has the heavier tranny that allows you to use a 6L6 instead of the stock 6V6. I did that, and the top end really popped. Maybe its the EQ curve of the 6L6 vs. the 6V6, but it sure did make a change. Another change -- I put TV Jones Classics in one of my (previously dumpy) HB axes, and it was a fine match for the Gries 5. Made the Gries much mo Gretschy! Killer overdriven tones with it, too. Best I've heard from this amp -- Malcolm-esque.:dude

Finally, I have a FMD winging its way to me from Canada. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

17. GEN DAWG

Perhaps only for my own interest, I wanted to report on the Fix My Duck and how it does with the Gries 5. Bottom line -- they are a fabulous match. The Gries has a huge, powerful bottom end, and the FMD sharpens and clarifies its top end. I just played my vintage ES330 thru this setup at church tonight. The cleans were simply gorgeous, with tons of chime AND guts. Overdriven tones were gritty with really nice definition. The FMD has a number of settings (thick / thin; treble / full boost). I like them all with the 330 and the Gries. The full boost + thick is lusher, the treble boost makes it more cutting and chimier.

Anyway, if you are thinking of getting a Fix My Duck to brighten up a single-ended amp, I can highly recommend it.

18. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Beano Boost - amazing pedal

19. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

20. GEN DAWG

For those of you keeping score at home . . . I tried something that worked really well today. Stacked my Sparkle Drive on top of the FMD, which I was running in treble booster + thick mode. I got my fundamental clean-to-breakup tone with the FMD, then used the Sparkle Drive for a solo boost. Set the Sparkle Drive for a gainier, more mid-heavy tone, but kept the clean knob at about 45%. Hot damn!! I got one of the best hot blues / rock lead tones I've ever gotten, using the neck pickup (TV Jones Classic) on my tele-style Schechter. Really early Billy Gibbons sound (now, if I could play like him . . . .).

This was for a real gospel rocker to close out Easter service this morning. The song was Sister Rosetta Tharpe's "Can't No Grave Hold My Body Down," and I was under instructions from out minister to "blow it out." That, we did. Souls were saved, no lie. So I guess this is a big shout out to the Stephenson FMD and its ability to work well with other pedals, like the Sparkle Drive. I'd be interested to hear if others have had success combining the FMD with other overdrives.

Amen.