Best pedal to turn a 100 watt Plexi

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Glass Onion, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Ok I may be asking for the sun moon and stars.

Has anyone tried a BK Tube driver in this aplication. Other than EJ himself.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sounds like to me you need a Kingsley Minstrel, they really are like like adding another foot switchable tube gain stage to your amp.

Also suggest you look at a VFE Rocket EQ/boost, not same thing as your MXR eq, pure, natural, focused boost right where you want it, not at where some preset slider thinks you might want it.

3. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Cool thanks for the ideas.

4. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Yeah, if a guy wants the volume, a treble boost would be great. I'm just old and don't ever get to play that loud anyway.

I'm sure you'll find a pedal that sounds awesome through your plexi.

5. 71strat

71strat Member

Ive got a 5 knob Butler Tube Driver.

It sounds great but Does Not Like Low Bedroom type Volumes from large amps.. I mainly use it like an EQ more than a Drive. Its great in the right application. It will work better with a Low Watt amp cranked.

Its not awful or anything on Low Volume but is best with some juice running through it.

For a Stomp box I like the Roger Mayer Voodoo Boost.
    Original 80's early 90's. Marshall... The Guv'nor.

6. shayneallen

shayneallen Supporting Member

What you want in my opinion is one of the Chandler ltd boxes. This is exactly what they do, better than anything I've ever heard/felt. I think they are not more popular only because they don't excel as "overdrive into a clean amp" kind of pedals like they do pushing something that's already at grind level. (Still cool tones to be had that way though)
    They are just in a whole other level from most of the stuff I have tried for your described purpose.

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

Check out the LM308 version of the Solidgoldfx Zeta drive. Pete Thorn does a nice demo on YT and comments that it's like a 2nd channel box, and I agree. Very girthy and "channel 2" like. Articulate and low noise too. I run mine at 18v.

8. guspc

guspc Member

MXR GT-OD is pretty awesome!