Best pedal tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I've tried the Boss TU-2 but it doesn't work well with certain string types (flatwounds for example). I need it to work with light roundwounds and heavy flatwounds.

Do any of the others work in all situations?

I also want a pedalboard(able) solution...

2. jzucker

I thought I read that it messed with the guitar tone (i.e. not true bypass)

P.S.

Why is the answer here always the most $$$ you can possibly spend? :D

3. 6789

6789 Member

+1 Strobostomp.
    it can be set to either true bypass or a mode that is not true bypass but gives you output to it's XLR jack - like a direct box.

the only trouble i have is tuning my hihgh e string. it doesn't register as well as the other strings. even when i switch to the neck pickup and lower my volume. otherwise it's the best tuner I've used.

4. trucks

trucks Member

Strobostomp can either use a buffer (default) or true bypass. All that is required to leave your tone intact is to flip a couple of dip switches inside the battery compartment.

Strobostomp is a case of getting what you pay for. It has accuracy of 0.1 cents and is very versatile with 2 programmable tunings. Before I got mine it seemed very expensive and afterwards I realize it is a bargain. You will hear the difference!

5. jzucker

I suspect it will give me trouble with flatwounds then.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I would suspect just the opposite. Flat wounds have less harmonics then round wounds to my ear it is the harmonics that mess with tuners. In any case the Strobestomp is so much better then any other tuner there isn't any question which one is the best in my opinion. I run a VHT buffer right off the guitar the VHT has two out puts one goes into my effects the other goes into the Strobestomp nothing comes out of the Strobestomp. I have no problem with the high E. Just remember to mute the other strings.

7. jzucker

Nope. Flatwounds have a thunk to them resulting from the polished wrapper. They do not have the sustained fundamental that roundwounds have. This is what causes the problems with tuners and flatwounds.

I should have stated up front that I'm not looking to spend $200! :)

8. VanStone

VanStone Member

Well I cant speak to how well it does with flatwound strings, but for a cheap floor tuner the Fender PT-100 works just fine. I haven't had any problems with it with it picking up any of the strings, and I think they only run about $50.

V

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+8,000,000 on the strobostomp. Go into search, type in strobostomp making sure to choose only the effects, pedals, strings and things forum, and read.

Not one person in there has regretted the strobostomp, nor have they complained it's too accurate after acquiring one. It's breathtaking. You can even intonate your guitar with it, dead accurate!

If you're not even going to try it, though, check out a korg dt-10. It's accurate to within 1 cent and apparently more transparent then the boss.

10. jzucker

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll check it out and the strobostomp. :)

11. 6789

6789 Member

the Strobostomp works great with my bass guitar with Black nylon tapewound strings. It also works just fine with flatwound bass and guitar strings.

I'll try muting my other strings while tune the high e.

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

whoops, my last post should have read "Not one person in there has regretted the strobostomp, nor have they complained it's too expensive after acquiring one"

tedzeppelin, what i also do by the high e is, even though my tone knob is on zero for the rest of the strings, I bring it up a bit for the high e-string. Maybe that's just my guitar, but rolling off the high frequencies with the tone knob takes away from the basic tone of the high e as well, since it in itself is a relatively higher frequency.

13. erksin

erksin Member

The key to getting a good strong reading with the SS is to use the neck pup and dial back the tone knob - not the volume.

That being said, I don't have any problems with my single bridge HB/single volume control guitar - always tunes right up...

14. vinni

vinni Member

I've got a Strobostomp :dude

The best Eur 200 I have even spend!!!!!!

Vinni

15. cameron

cameron Member

I too bought a Strobostomp some months ago. I've got gizmos galore, but I have to say that the very un-glamorous Strobostomp is the best piece of gear I've bought in years.

It's worth every penny, and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Just last week I ordered a second one, because I rehearse with two bands, and I want to keep one in a rehearsal space, and have the other one ready to travel with me to gigs or to use at home. I considered for a moment buying a cheaper tuner to leave in the rehearsal space, but that was a pretty brief moment. I'd have wished it was a Strobostomp every time I used it, and would probably have bought a second Strobo eventually.

16. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Jack:

I agree with all the other posts about the Strobostomp being the state of the art tuner. There simply is nothing better available.

If you're concerned about flatwounds, E strings whatever, buy a tuner and try it out. The resale value on these is very good, and you could sell it for close to what you paid for it. Or buy one from Musicians Friend or one of the other large companies that offer a 30 to 45 day return period. I'm willing to bet that you won't want to give it up.

John

17. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

This is what I currently use, but I have no idea what it is like with flatwounds, Jack.

I think I may have to break down soon and at least try one of these strobostomps.

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

19. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

strobostomp.

the boss gave me problems with its buffer. it didn't detect strings nearly as well as the strobostomp. read the manual and you def wont regret it!

20. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Do you guys use tuners so you can tune silently on stage?

I've never used a tuner a day in my life, so I've always wondered why people bought them.

Just curious...

Jeff