JBOTS

I currently own and love an AC30HW2.
I tryed out a few pedals...

GREAT:

MXR MC 401
MXR WAH
Boss RE-20
Malekko Spring Chicken

How do tube screamers work? I really don't know which pedals work best for the amp, but i switch between the normal and TB channel with an A/B switch!

illini

What guitar do you use? Not a common pedal, but the Crowther Hotcake is supposed to be a good match with the AC 30's. I haven't played it with an AC 30, but it loves Fenders and Telecasters.

Msboy2011

I have an AC30 and I'm exploring good drive pedal right now. i have a Boss BS-2 and a Fulltone GT-500. The Boss sounds pretty good. I would not reccomend the Fulltone GT-500. Sounds great in my friends Marshall JCM 2000, but not the AC30.

I hear that the Hotcake and the Timmy sound good through it.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
What sort of sounds are you trying to achieve? What sort of music are you playing?

How do you run the AC30?

mikey808

What sort of sounds are you trying to achieve? What sort of music are you playing?

How do you run the AC30?
^^^
beauty of ac30's is they'll do very different things with different pedals. i dig the sound of a tubescreamer through one as many do, but others find that combo to have too much mids and compressed sounding.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
^^^
beauty of ac30's is they'll do very different things with different pedals. i dig the sound of a tubescreamer through one as many do, but others find that combo to have too much mids and compressed sounding.
Absolutely, which is why I was asking the OP what he was shooting for.

A treble booster into a "normal" channel and the amp cranked a la Brian May is one classic AC30 sound but there are so many others too - Petty/Mike Campbell sounds, Rory Gallagher, REM, The Church, Country and Country-Rock guys.

Personally, for what I play (Americana/Alt-Country Rock stuff) I like my Timmy as a low - mid gain OD on top of an AC30 just starting to clip a little the best. Sometimes in conjunction with other things like my Klon as a clean boost or an RC Booster for a more neutral tone.

atson67

hotcake, mi audio blues pro, I like the beano boost better than the java boost thru a ac30
+1 on MI Blues Pro.
I use my 70ies AC30 as a clean platform and it takes all kind of OD pedals.
It sounds great cranked as well but we talk about freakin loud.

stratboy01

+1 on the Timmy

I also dig my Keeley modded Boss BD-2 for warm chord strumming on the edge of breakup. Keeley Java Boost works well as a treble booster (especially through the normal channel)

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
I've used my OCD (V1) on several AC30s (vintage and newer) with great results - Les Paul & Telecaster injected.

JBOTS

I'm doing some sort of vintage style stoner / psychedelic rock.
The Oxfuzz silicon works great !!! I turn my AC30 poweramp kinda up... and the preamp is more at breakup.
I use a tele and i dial in the treble to cut through!

Mika

I had the exact same amp for some shows, and I used a ts808....... and I must say I thought it was a terrible combination...... the two in my opinion do not work together at all........ I dont know why, by TS style pedals and ac30's sound ugly to me, very!

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I really dig the cmatmods Signa Drive into an AC30 just at the edge of breakup. I tried a bunch of overdrives into my AC30--stock TS9, Signa Drive, cmatmods Tube Slammer (modded TS type, killer OD), etc., and found the Signa Drive to be my favorite.

The stock Tube Screamer was actually quite nice and the Tube Slammer was just awesome, but the Signa Drive is a little more versatile and has a sweet voice.

I'm gonna look into the Timmy, though, myself. Haven't heard much about the Hotcake.

Anyway, try the Signa Drive. My $0.02.

Griz

Fairfield Circuitry's Barbershop OD is supposed to be a good match if what you're going for is clean-ish boost, like a bigger, angrier AC30.

ken374

I really dig the cmatmods Signa Drive into an AC30 just at the edge of breakup. I tried a bunch of overdrives into my AC30--stock TS9, Signa Drive, cmatmods Tube Slammer (modded TS type, killer OD), etc., and found the Signa Drive to be my favorite.

The stock Tube Screamer was actually quite nice and the Tube Slammer was just awesome, but the Signa Drive is a little more versatile and has a sweet voice.

I'm gonna look into the Timmy, though, myself. Haven't heard much about the Hotcake.

Anyway, try the Signa Drive. My $0.02.
theres a vid with the hot cake and the heritage amp, sounds real good

buddyboysteve

I use a ts9, OCD v.4, and a hotcake stacked in that order into a uk made AC30. Love the different frequencies and drive each one brings and how they stack or push each other when played together. I use strats, lp, and a gretsch, and they all work well together. Just different voicings. Also loves tells but I don't have one at the moment. Variety is good and keeps things interesting IMO.

Trending Topics