Best pedals, OD/etc. for a BF Twin?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TNJ, Sep 15, 2006.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

The other guitar player in my fusion band is looking at another amp. He currently has a Fender Vibrolux reissue, and a Mesa Dual Rectifier with a 212 cab.
    He loves good clean tones that give up that black face bark when you hit the strings hard...which he does quite alot.
    He is trying to decide between another Mesa product, vs. the '65 reissue Twin.
    The only thing holding him back on the Fender is the fact that he thinks Twins dont like pedals of any kind, and since there is no efx loop, this can have dire consequences on one's tone. (his words)
    And, believe me guys, this guy has ears like Eric Johnson! (kinda plays like him too)

So, let me know what pedals (OD/Rotary Vibe/Chorus/Delay/etc.) will work wonderfully in front of a Twin, with no tone suckage and maximum (great) effect.

Thanks!
    S>
    j

2. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I've heard negative comments about OD pedals through Twins. I owned a Twin many years ago but never used any pedals with it, so I can't remark directly to that. But I strongly recommend he try before he buys --- take guitar and effects and put a Twin (and alternative amps) through some trials. That's the only way one will ever know. Nothing beats the personal experience.

3. TNJ

Well,
    Guess I'll fold this thread up and put it to bed.
    S.
    j

4. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I own a BF Twin and it HATES pedals. The only pedals I had success with were a Fulltone Distortion Pro, a Maxon OD-820, and a Tech21 Double drive. These pedals work but didn't knock my socks off, in other words, no wow factor.

I tried so many pedals with it I lost count and only these three were usable.

5. lchyi

lchyi Member

My TRRI loves pedals of all kinds. It creates kind of a good base for sounds. IMO, fantastic cleans are an essential for most effects.

However, an aspect I agree with is that OD pedals will not go that well with them. Since a TRRI doesn't break up the OD pedal is doing all the work clipping the signal. I think a good OD pedal complements the amp's natural OD which a Twin doesn't have. A TS808 into a TRRI will not sound like a great overdriven amp no matter how much you tweak the pedal it's solid state clipping and you can hear it if you listen carefully.

Take it from me though. The amp is freakin' amazing for it's price. It has cleans that cannot be beat by too many amps in that price range (if any) and takes most pedals like a champ.

I posted a thread earlier saying how my TRRI doesn't sound as good with a BYOC OD and have come to terms with the tone. I was spoiled for a while with a good overdriven amp and when I came back to the TRRI it was lacking a little on the crunch and lead tones.

Until...

I put my Keeley Katana booster in front of the OD and pulled out the knob to get a slight grit. That rounded out the BYOC OD very nice. Use a little slapback and now, I can't wait to come home and practice, I've never had that feeling with any combination of amps/pedals yet.

Find some good pedals YMMV with the Twin. Best amp I've owned so far.

6. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

My BF Twin has the utimate clean tone IMHO and I keep it just for that. I can't speak about the RI since I haven't played one, maybe it is more pedal friendly than the original BF, I just don't know.

I need to add the MI Crunch Box and Indyguitarist Plexi-Drive to the list of pedals for the Twin. This thread forced me to pull my Twin out and try some of my newer pedals with it. Both work extremely well and the Plexi-Drive has the wow factor I was looking for. I set the switch for the bright amp setting and was good to go. I also use both with my 59 Bassman LTD and I'm very happy with them both. The best part is that both pedals are very affordable.

7. TNJ

Well,
    Very good!
    Thanks fellas...I'll pass the word along.
    And I agree that, for cleans, the Fender Twin is hard to beat!
    :cool:
    S.
    j

8. Nathan

Nathan Member

+1 on the clean tones, and that's why it was my amp of choice. I always figured it's easy to dirty up a clean sound than to clean up a dirty amp tone. So I have an Allen Tonesavor 80 watt. Anyway, the best OD so far has been the SIB Varidrive. It's ever so amplike and tubey. It really gives you a second channel to that amp.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

It's been years since I played a BF twin. Never played the RI. With SFTRs, (play thiese often in studios), the Klon works perfectly. I use it for clean boost only. Wonderful with some delay. On the clean side, no crunch and little grit unless things get real loud. Just a soft edge on the sound.

10. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

Seymour Duncan Twin Tube sounded great through a Twin. Like a, well, tube amp clipping.