Best Pencil Condenser under $300

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cooptone, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cooptone

cooptone Supporting Member

I'm investing in another pencil mic for the studio and would love input on good pencil condenser's under $300. I would be using to record acoustic guitars, percussion, overheads etc........ Thanks

2. ecm1117

ecm1117 Member

I would go with either a used Shure SM-81 ($200-250 on eBay) or a Shure KSM-127. Both are excellent for acoustic guitars and drums. The SM-81 is a lower output mic than the KSM-137, so you'll need a good preamp for quiet acoustic guitar recording!

3. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Audio Technica. The AT3031. I have a pair of them I use for drum overheads and guitars...great mics!

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I've had nothing but great success with my Peluso CEMC6. Regardless of whether or not it sounds like the Schoepps of a similar name, this thing sound amazing! Acoustic guitars, hi-hats....not really a fan of SD condensers on overheads, but I'm sure it'd work well too.

I got the mic with the intention of using it in conjunction w/ a LD condenser on acoustic, but the mic picks up so well, you don't even need another to accompany it in such a setup.

http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/CEMC6.html

You can get it for $279 from soundpure.com

5. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I use a Rhode NT3 which was around that price. It sounds great on acoustic guitar, voice and percussion. Not my favorite on electric guitar.

6. bchamorro

bchamorro Member