Best phase pedal? New not used...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fajy6, Apr 29, 2008.

1. fajy6

fajy6 Member

I'm looking for a phase pedal for around 150$, can go higher if needed. I've had bad experiences in the past with buying used gear, so i'm looking for something I can get from a dealer, or a custom shop.

I'm not really sure what sound I'm looking for, just want to know people's opinions on what they like.

2. MkF!

MkF! Member

I love the Subdecay Quasar. It's versatile, chewy, and not too far over the top (which in my opinion is a good thing).
    [​IMG]
    More info here:
    http://www.subdecay.com/qp.htm

I know some people who rave about the H.B.E. Psylocibe too, though I've never played one.

ALSO, I think that MXR got the Phase 90 right and I keep one on my board beside my Quasar.

~MkF!
    "I was on Rock of Love!"

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Retrosonic..very good Phase 90 type
    Mojo Hand (tonefactor) Nebula...very good Phase 45
    MXR 74 Reissue...like the real thing... no true bypass

4. Josh O

Josh O Member

BYOC Phaser - Phase 90 clone, true bypass, fantastic

5. sharkminusbear

sharkminusbear Member

The Home Brew Electronics Psilocybe is an awesome sounding handmade phaser for $160 new. It's very versatile with 4 different phase sounds and it is the most "liquid" sounding phaser I have played.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I gotta give it up for the ToneFactor/Mojo Hand Nebula. It's a 2 stage phase that can cop some vibe as well. It's similar to a 45 but not quite. I had vintage MXR phases most of my guitar playing life, the 45, 90, and 100. The Neb is more like a Phase 67.5. It's a steal of a pedal and if you don't buy new, occasionally one pops up used.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1. I love mine...

8. Jack

Jack Member

+1 on Nebula. Just greasy, subtle, dark phase

9. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Spend $85 and a day of your time and get a BYOC phaser. Mine sounds awesome!

10. Craise

Craise Member

Another big thumbs up for the BYOC phaser.
    I've owned 2 real Bud Box MXR Phasers and the BYOC nails it...
    Sold them for $$...never missed them at all..
    Not sure if it's "the best" ...but if you like Led Zeppelin's The Wanton Song and Achilles Last Stand phaser sound...BYOC does it for low $.
    :dude

11. KCWM

KCWM Member

Chewy? :messedup how in the hell can a sound be chewy?!?!?!? I demand clips!

I kid. But chewy is one of the words used to describe guitar sounds that I'm always scratching my head at. I describe calamari as chewy, not a phaser.

12. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i'm looking for a phaser too

i want something thats in stereo, and with tap tempo

13. Sofus

Sofus Member

I like the Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser. Just fits to what I hear in my head, easy to dial .. but very flexible sound wise.

14. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

www.bonepickerguitaramps.com I know Jim has made some awesome phasers in the past and are right around your price range. Check them out. This guy needs more recognition. His work (amps and pedals) are top notch!

15. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Another vote for the Nebula. Makes a good vibe as well.

16. Numb

Numb Member

I have owned a good number of phasers (and still do own a few), and what I have in my board is HBE Psilocybe. Transparent, liquid, versatile, good headroom.

It doesn't do Phase 90, or Small Stone, because those things have their own sound, but if you want the tone you have to be phased, Psilocybe is very nice.

It can go from very subtle to wobbling that makes you seasick...

17. Willemdaguide

Willemdaguide Member

My vote is for the Maxon PH-350, check it out!!

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I think the "chewy" sound is something you mainly get from playing a pedal yourself. I was just fiddling around with a Behringer VP-1 Phaser which is a Small Stone rip off and I thought it sounded pretty "chewy". But I'm wondering how I can relay that sound to someone in other words. (Maybe a new thread about what "chewy" means could be in order.)

Here it goes - it's a pulsating type sound or texture that is a bit on the wet and liquid side but with some sort of body to it. It's also squishey and you almost feel you could "chew" on it.

19. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

I just picked up the MXR '74 hand wired reissue, at 119 it's a great deal and nails the sound of the original.

20. Guitarmatt818

Guitarmatt818 Member

I've had one for a few months now, and it stopped my search for a phaser dead in it's tracks. I eventually did true bypass, LED, and DC jack mods to it, but it sounds the same.