Best Phaser under 200 clams

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ryanverbena, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

I am searching the market for a good phaser and my limit is $200. Don't want anything too outrageous, just something high quality and very use-able; no gimmicky switches that never get used ;)

2. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

option 5's 'destination phase' is FANTASTIC..and boutique-e (hand built)...very musical.
    very affordable @ $130.... I think.
    the super slow setting is like nothing else...really really deep and wide...but it will do a pretty decent variety of phase sounds...wide degree of speed and depth...and it will do all sounds well.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Tough call, there are a few of them. Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser, Home Brew Electronics Psilocybe and the MXR Custom Shop 74' Script Phase 90 - Hand wired. I've alos heard many say good things about the RetroSonic phaser too.

TheGrooveking

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

HBE Psilocybe without a doubt (for me). I've been using that little sucker for almost 3 years, and it continues to perform for me both on-stage and at home.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Boss Ph-1r used on Ebay for about $100 or less.

6. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

I have read good things about the red witch moon phaser, anyone tried these? Also i could possibly get a mutron phasor II for a bit more than i was budgetting. What u reckon?

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

You asked for the best.....

[​IMG]

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

The Mutron Phasor II is the best phaser ever, tone-wise, IMO, but it is quite large (taking up much board real-estate), has a hard-wired plug (which is not convenient for everyone), and is not true-bypass (if that is important to you).
    That said, if you want to hear the phase of the gods (IMO), you should definitely buy one. It is probably still my most prized pedal, despite its shortcomings, but I do not use it on-stage.

9. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

A huge +1 for the psilocybe...I've had mine for 2 years and haven't even thought about trying a different phaser since I got it. I was playing a Tonelab LE for a while at church but I would always have the psilocybe in the loop. The GAS-ending pedal is the holy grail for budget minded effects shoppers and the psilocybe did it for me. :AOK

10. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I had the moon phaser and it didn't sound thick enough for me. The tremophase setting is awesome though.

11. Goofball

Goofball Member

i had just asked this same question a couple of weeks ago myself. :D I got a lot of good suggestions but for my pedalboard, i needed an mxr-type box.

I listened to a ton of clips and i'm gonna go with the retro sonic phaser. i have to admit thought, the maxon rotary phaser was mighty tough to beat. that thing sounds awesome! just too big for what i need...

12. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

I mentioned the option 5 phaser...
    but now that you've mentioned the red witch...I should say...that is my main phaser. I love the deluxe moon phaser...very vibey and cool. thought it was over 200 though.
    I recommend it highly.

13. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i'm going to go with the mu-tron phasor 2. it's on my board and i love it!

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

The MXR 74-phase 90 is an excellent vintage sounding phaser and can be bought from Croakus on these pages (PRM music I think), and Croakus can modify it for true bypass for you. He does a good job, contact him.

15. Twanger

Twanger Member

I have a Boss PH-1r as well and I really like, one of my favorite pedals Boss ever made. If I were going to buy something new though I'd probably get the Retro-Sonic, I had a tourbox for a while with one in it...killer tones, like a Phase 90 but more hi-fi and with a depth and level control...

16. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I own the Maxon Vintage Phaser (orange one pictured). Although it is pretty flexible, it imparts am overall tone shift that I do not like.

That being said, I'm gonna sell it and get an MXR Phase 90/100 Re-issue and be done with it.

17. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I used to have the Maxon PH-350.

First, it is stupid expensive and secondly it doesn't do the doppler thing well at all. It was very "chewy" though, if you like that.

I too want to score the new 1974 Phase 90 RI.

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yep!:dude

19. iualum

iualum Member

...I love my PH-350, but I also love my PT-9 Pro+, Quasar, & yes, my Analogman-modded Small Stone, all under two bills...

20. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Used maxon ph350. Ive played them all and its the best in any price range.