Best Pick-ups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Texas_Blues, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

What pick-ups should I get for a great Jazz tone in the neck and a SRV Rhythm in the Neck/Mid with some mild overdrive, and a tele sounding bridge?
    The pick-ups are going to be put in a 06' Mexi Standard. I was thinking about the Suhrs, the Lindy Vintage Hots, Lace Sensors, and the Rio Grande Pick-ups.

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I'd suggest a Fender Nashville Tele. The tele neck pup will do a decent jazz tone (roll down the tone), and the compliment of tele pups and strat middle will get you the other sounds. I don't know of any strat pup that can get a good jazz tone on the neck (or other positions either). Perhaps check out Rio Grande pickups...they have several sets from Tallboys to halfbreeds to Muy Grandes and might work.

3. jetlag

jetlag Member

I really dig what Dave Stephens is going with strat pickups too. I have a hybrid set: '59 model in the front and his Mojo Staggers in the middle and back spots. To me, these pickups make the guitar sound like you have maybe a gauge bigger strings or so but still ring like good strat pups.

4. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I already use 12 guages. Can I have some of your sound clips. Ive lstened to the site ones already though.

5. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Make sure you get pickups that have complimenting outputs. You don't want 3 different sounds if the outputs are all over the place. Middle positions would suck. I'd recommend looking at the Harmonic Design line of pickups. Vintage Plus Strat neck pickup for neck and middle, STP Strat Bridge (tele pickup in the bridge). Word of warning, though...a Tele pickup in the bridge of a strat isn't going to sound like a bridge pickup in a tele. It'll be similar, but not spot on.

6. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

Another option you may consider is a humbucker placed in the bridge position. Nothing beats a low output PAF type pickup w/ the tone down for jazz tones. Most pickups these days also allow you to split them to get the SRV type of tone. A TS808 style overdrive will help a lot to get that inbetween overdriven tone your looking for with the coil split.

Hope this helps...