Best Pickup Height Adjustment for a Vintage Strat!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by IndieHead, Jul 24, 2006.

1. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

Hi frens,

Just wondering what your opinions are on the best pickup height adjustment on a vintage strat.

I know there are alot of variables involved such as the kinda of pickup, string gauage and stuff.

But in general, for a 7.25 radius and vintage frets, what kinda pickup setup you have on your vintage strat?

Mine currently has the neck pickup the lowest, middle slightly higher and bridge pickup the highest amongst the 3. All 3 pickups have the pickup slanted lower on the bass strings.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a set of Texas Specials on it.

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Let's see, I have a 62 RI strat with Texas Specials, here's my method. Start with the Fender spec recommendations (1/8" on bass side, 3/16" on treble side), then I lower all the pups by a full screw turn each and finally use my ears on fine tuning the neck and middle pups....usually a half turn here or there on the bass sides to get a balance and good 4th position "quack" tone.

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. I set mine us similarly and adjust to taste. As you know we musicians go through phases so what works this week my need tweeking next week.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I find it's best to use your ears rather than a ruler. It usually takes me a few gigs to find the pickups height sweet spot.

5. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Are these mesurements based upon putting a capo on the first fret then fretting thed 14th fret ect?

6. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

FWIW, I find that keeping them pretty low helps maintain that Strat chime and clarity.

It also seems to let the wood come into play a bit more.

7. TS808

TS808 Member

After reading this last night, I tried it. I had always done the factory setup with the standard measurements, etc. I thought I would give this a try just to see what difference it would make. I gotta say, it made a difference in tone and took away some of that "ice-pick" sound out of the bridge pickup. The guitar sounds much more alive and resonant.

Great tip ;)

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

You saved my fingers again, Vaughn.

I'd just add that you'll end up with them surprisingly low from what Fender set them at originally......don't forget to take a look at your action too.....

Best, Pete.

9. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

You've got to keep 'em away from the strings to avoid the dreaded double-tones too.

10. JohnK24

No, I fret the strings (both E's) at the last fret and measure to the underside of the strings.

11. JohnK24

Glad it worked. "Alive and resonant" , that's what I was trying to achieve in finding the proper height for my TX Specials too. At the Fender spec they are "tight" sounding, very harsh. I've also tried the set them almost flush to the pickguard and raise them a tad method some like...yuck...they sound thin and well...too normal, heck they are fuller bodied pups, they're supposed to have some ballz !

Enjoy,

John

12. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I wanted to know what height adjustments on the Bridge and middle pickups will maximize "strat quack" given the previous recommended height settings in this thread. I.E. will setting the pickups higher or lower increase quack???

Thanks