Best Pickups for a Clapton Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by coyoteblue, Dec 14, 2005.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I recently bought a 2000 Clapton Strat with Vintage Pickups. This guitar feels great but I'm finding the pickups a too thick sounding. Single note playing is fine, but chords are a bit muddy. What kind of pickups work well in the EC to make chording more articulate, defined?

2. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

The EC Model has v-neck, bridge that is blocked, mid boost control what else makes it an EC Model?

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A 9 1/2" radius, vintage style hardware, maple board, and-unique-to-that-model noiseless pickups. Have one myself and LOVE it, although I replaced those paper clip frets with SS 6105ishs. Don't change pickups! Lower the bass side of the pickups, and use with a boost pedal. It takes out the extremes and focuses the mids, thus balancing the tone beautifully on that guitar. Then use the on-board boost to taste. Works really well that way. I have 3 boost/drive pedals, and they all have that effect to varying degrees. Those special VN pups are quite good, but can otherwise get a bit boomy on bass. I also adust my amps EQ a bit differently when playing that guitar (or use with an EQ pedal). AC

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

One more thought...You do know that the bottom tone knob is the boost control, don't you? I ask, because with low or no boost, the guitar is very articulate on its own, with none of the 'boominess' associated with a higher boost setting. That aside though, try my earlier suggestion. It really works! PS...That boost knob is fun to twist, isn't it?!

5. -kk-

-kk- Member

yup, either that, or you have your tbx knob dialled all the way down (ie treble cut?). the stock pu by themselves, assuming tbx on 5 and midboost off, should sound like any other strat.

kelvin

6. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

I also replaced the vintage frets w/6105's, but I went with good ol' nickel wire. I never did make friends with the Fender VN pickups, and went with a set of Lace Holy Grails (no other electronic changes - same factory pots, etc.). I found them to be a big improvement towards a more convincing single coil tone with out the mid-boost engaged. I use an RC & AC boost pedal on my board and am very pleased with that combo. I find the Clapton strat to be a great all around guitar that, in a live situation, lets you cover more ground with just one instrument. I tend to use the mid boost in the 4 to 5 range; more than that and it gets a bit muddy. With the Lace Grails, the mid boost will get you pretty close P90 territory. A versital guitar, with a great neck.

7. Grap

Grap Member

<heresy>Sssh! Don't tell anyone, but I actually quite like the stock Gold Lace Sensonrs in my '95 model...</heresy> ;)

8. -kk-

-kk- Member

BLESPHEMY!!!!!

howzit goin steve? saw your name mentioned in that recent article as one of the "STARS" using GIM guitars? any endorsement deals forthcoming? :D

kelvin

9. Roe

Roe Member

1: suhn noiseless system
    2: kinman trad mk11
    3: kinman woodstocks

10. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll stick with the Clapton as it is for a while and maybe look to other pickups if I can't get the mellow I want from it. I can't imagine using a boost with a guitar that feels so boosted already, but I'm sure it's worth a try, especially with something like a Bad Bob. I don't know the RC. I had Kinman's in a 52 RI Tele and they worked beautifully, so I'm certainly open to those, but they're so expensive, especially in the Great White North! The Holy Grail's sound fine too. I'm playing through 70's Princeton Reverb that has a new speaker, a Ragin Cajun...breaking in that speaker may be part of the problem. Happy Holidays!

11. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

In addition to my EC Strat, I did add a Suhr Classic with the SSC system to the arsenel. I added a Demeter Mid Boost pedal to the board, for a two piece Clapton strat kit. The Suhr w/the mid boost will not get as muddy as the EC w/ their mid boost. This combo will do everything the EC will do, with more note definition. It really gets to a convincing P90 tone.

12. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Say... you didn't buy that red Clapton I had my eye on at The 12th Fret, did you? :)

I would go the cheap and cheerful route: Duncan Alnico II Pros (I think the model # is APS-1). Slightly lower output than a typical single coil, but slightly sweeter tone as well. Problem is, if you're going to keep the built in boost, expect lots of noise.

13. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Hey Theelectric, I got my EC at Songbird a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2000 model, but in excellent shape.

I'm wondering about what height you guys set for you pickups. I had lowered mine almost flush to the pickguard, to cut back on the output, but that it turns out was a problem. Raised a turn or two, and the the EC sounds much better.

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Probably about where yours are now. Lower on the bass side, but not flush, neck overall lowest, the others progressively higher. Did you try it with a pedal yet?

15. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I don't have a boost right now. I sold all my pedals awhile back. But I will try your suggestion when I get my hands on one.

16. Grap

Grap Member

Surely you jest? I didn't see that, although I have been playing my GIM quite a bit and usually make sure I tell people about it (usually when they ask me "Where I bought the PRS"). I really ought to put a sign on the back of it saying "Gitar ini buatan Pandan Indah" :)

Cheers - Steve

17. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Off topic by now, but I put some DR 10-52's on and raised the pickups a bit and now the EC sounds killer with the Vintage Noiseless. These are a great set of strings. They stay in tune almost immediately and the guitar sounds richer, deeper, just like that. I had DR 10-46's on it before, and the difference is quite noticable!