Best pickups for a Jimmy Page wiring harness?

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I built a Jimmy Page wiring harness about 10 years ago but haven't found any pickups that sound like they would sound good with it, in at least a few positions, so I never installed it. For those who don't know, it was made for a Les Paul style guitar and all 4 pots are push/pull allowing just about any combo you can think of.

Can anyone make some recommendations for pickups to try? Thay would obviously need to have 4 leads on each. I think how the pickups sound split is probably important. I think you get around 20 combos.

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Page wiring harness in two 335's, one with Manlius 59LT long A3 magnets and the other with Manlius Fat Diane A4. Both sound great but the 59LT gets the nod slightly over the other. I think Seymour Duncan made some Page PAF's. His A2 Antiquities sound great in my 345 with varitone.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
I'll give my normal advice... Contact David at Zhangbucker. He'll discuss your needs and desires and work up a formula.

I've purchased a few pickups from him now and loved all of them (I currently have a set being wound now). The first set, I gave home a few examples, sent a couple youtube videos, discussed a couple of artists and when I installed them, he had absolutely nailed the tine I was looking for. One of the pickups he sent me started out as a Pagey II, with a couple small tweaks that are beyond my limited technical knowledge of pickups. It's supposedly like his T-Top. He matched it up with a pickup based on his Duanebucker. Again, a few tweaks. All I know is, he literally nailed the sound I was looking for.

His prices are really reasonable as well.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I never read what prompted the mods, so I dont k ow what he may have initially used them on. I did notice once on the Celebration Day reunion video that he used a push/pull at least once. I didn't really notice what change in tone that may have made in the mix.
I built the harness initially as I figured it might be fun and was fairly easy. I'm sure some combos won't sound good regardless of pickups.

71strat

Throbak SLE 101 Long A2 in the Neck 7.6k
Throbak 1970 Select T Top Bridge Short A2 7.6k

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
What pickups did Jimmy have in his '59 Les Paul back in the Zep days?
The neck was the original PAF and the bridge was changed to an early T-Top when the original PAF went bad.

My apologies OP.
I don’t have enough experience using HB pups split to make a credible recommendation.
Best wishes to you for finding something that works great!

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I think the thing with this harness, whoever designed it ( was it Jimmy?) designed it to give maximum combinations with 2 humbuckers. I heard at least 2 positions produce silence. It doesn't have to sound like Jimmy Page ( considering he used guitars other than Les Paul's that many associate him with and he still sounds like himself), you probably need to be him to sound just like him. I'm not so worried about that. Because many of the settings use one coil from a pickup, I figured a good starting point might be a pickup that sounds good split (both coils), so I may have to ask some winders. I'm surprised though that nobody has a set pre-designed for a switching system like this.

Trending Topics