Best Pickups For My PRS Standard 24.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Last Rebel, Jun 8, 2008.

1. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Alright, I'm going to ask this once more. I'm okay with the stock HFS/VB combo, but I want to be more than okay, way more. I have a few problems with the set. One is the HFS, Big Mike has said it best by calling it that "broiled ass" tone. I have no idea what broiled ass sounds like, but if it sounds like the HFS I won't be happy. The HFS only does well with tons of gain. Otherwise it has this disgusting nasally midrange that is impossible to get rid of. The VB is better. It has a good clean tone, a great overdriven sound, but if you even think of applying a bit more gain to it, Mudville. It's very easy to make it go from warm and crisp to muddy as hell. Also, overall it's way to modern. So, I'm wanting something vintage. Definately in the '60s British blues range. Think Eric Clapton on the Beano album or Wheels of Fire, or Alvin Lee. Something big and thick with an agressive almost Tele-esque treble. It might be able to sacrifice a bit in the warmth and midrange areas, because the mahogany will certainly add some back in. As of now, I'm thinking of the Peter Florance Voodoo '59 set, the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage set, or a Crossroads set. All reccomendations are appreciated.

2. Zorran

Zorran Member

suhr makes great pickups. i can only speak from my experience with them in mahogany/maple guitars..and not all mahogany like yours...but the suhr aldrich i tried in my prs mccarty blew me away..it was so clear, yet so full and defined. it cleaned up well and has a very musical quality to the top end.

im not reccommending you buy the aldrich..its definately meant for higher gain application..but you can tell john suhr has a great ear and makes great gear. the difference between the suhrs and stuff like duncans etc is huge.

ive also heard great things about wcr pickups.

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I absolutely positively love the HFS/VB combo in the Standard 24. LOVE it.

I suggest a new amp first.

4. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I had great success with Bareknuckle pickups in both a CU22 and a CU24, with a Stormy Monday in the neck and a Mule in the bridge.

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I think my Lollar Imperials may be the best humbuckers available. They let the guitar's sound through and aren't muddy at all. Remember though, your guitar has a lot of midrange simply cause of the all mahogany platform.

6. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

OK, I've posted this before, here I go again. I'm currently a bedroom player, and I don't have a great amp to play through at this time (Traynor YCV20, being driven by a Marshall Lead 12! woot) but heres my opinion. I've got a 20th Anniversary Standard 24, and soon after I bought it I replaced the stock pickups with a Crossroads neck, Goodwood bridge, and installed an RS Guitarworks "PRS" kit. Not sure if RS makes those anymore. The Goodwood has slightly less output than the HFS, (approx. 11k versus 14k) but is so versatile and appealing to me, both clean and with dirt. The VB was good, but the Crossroads neck is fantastic to my ears. Not as muddy. Both are so much more detailed, not compressed-sounding, must be fantastic with a good tube amp! Using a 3 way and a push-pull switch offers 6 usable tones, although the Goodwood split at the bridge is the least usefull, IMO. Jim Wagner is 1st class to deal with. Standard 24's a great guitar!

7. baimun

baimun Member

I know exactly what you're saying.... I don't have many issues with the Vintage Bass in the neck of my 20th anniversary PRS, but the HotFatScreams definitly has a sweet spot where it's great, but isn't nearly as versatile, especially for blues tones.

[​IMG]

My Luczak built Limba guitar is a hard tail and had a Ducan JB/59 combo which definitely has better range throughout the volume knob, but doesn't tap as well. Because of this, I switched the neck pickup out for a hum-sized P90 and did away with the coil tap altogether.

I'm considering the Tremonti humbucker for the PRS because even though it's hotter, it has a beefier mid and bottom, so I've been told that it rolls back to a better bluesy tone. I'll also feel better that it's still "almost factory" because it will a PRS pickup.

8. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Lots of good choices mentioned above.

I would agree most WCR's are nice recommendations. Godwood or Darkburst Bridge with a Darkburst or Crossroad neck. Maybe even Fillmores as they kind of have the high end you are looking for.

Lollar Imperials are nice. I have also heard great things about BareKnuckles and Sheptones.

Hell, I found Gibson 57' Classics to do a great job in all mahogany gutars.

There are always good choices from Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio as well.

10. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I certainly love my Standard, but I won't go rambling on about that here. It looks like RS still makes the PRS kits. Would you reccomend one of those? I just remembered this. Why aren't the Florance's reccomended more? They never seem to come up often.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  11. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

The Last Rebel, I can't comment tone-wise if an RS kit is worth it, 'cause I changed pickups at the same time, so I did a mind-numbing change. But the pots sure feel better, all components are good quality, and the service from RS Guitarworks is also 1st class. I used their schematic.

12. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

They're the Peter Florance Voodoo's. They seem to be like the Sheptones, they don't get much press at all. Around here it seems like everyone's either using Lollar's, Fralin's, or WCR's.