• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best pickups for PRS Custom 24???

ToneBum

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a PRS Custom 24 that I love the feel of but sense that I need a pickup swap. I've tried the stock HFS & Vintage Bass, SD JB & Jazz, SD P-Rails, and now I'm on Tom Anderson HC1 & HC2 pickups. The Andersons are my favorite but I just played my friends PRS McCarty Korina with the McCarty pickups and I like the bite that those have a little better. The andersons seem "soft" and "smooth" which is a good thing sometimes but since I use a diamond compressor at the front of my chain I feel that I don't need my pickups to be particularly "soft."

Any suggestions on great pickups for the Custom 24? Btw, I play mainly blues and rock. Nothing super heavy. I use a deville 212 clean and drive it with pedals. Suggest to me a pickup that will cut through the mix and rock!

Sub City

Silver Supporting Member
Throbaks are getting a lot of good reviews on the forums; I'd try them. I've got 2 Custom 22's, I was thinking the PRS 57/08's but they're hard to find(not available separately yet). Can't see them sounding better than the Throbaks.

ToneBum

Silver Supporting Member
I checked out the Throbacks. They seem great. So it appears as if I want something close to vintage PAF's as I enjoyed the McCartys a lot. This isn't a deal breaker for me but I also love when the nickel covers are brushed :)

jbd3

Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear
Gold Supporting Member
I've kept the stock p'ups in my Custom 24 since I get on with them ok--not a super hard rock tone, but that's ok for what I use that guitar for. However I also have a korina McCarty and I found it sounded quite weedy and trebly with the stockers, maybe because it's such a light guitar (feels like a Parker Fly!). I wanted a higher-output p'up to give it some girth, and ended up going with a set of Rio Grande Texas and BBQ p'ups. Completely transformed the guitar! How they'd sound in a Cu24 is difficult to say, given the differences in lumber, but for blues & rock, they sound great in the McCarty.

The best humbuckers I've heard are the Lollar Imperials; I have a set in my 336 and that's probably my best-sounding 'bucker guitar. You might want something hotter than the stock wind, but I'd imagine he'd do it for you. You can call him up or email him to ask about that. Good luck!

SteveO

I've got a Duncan '59/Jazz combo in mine. I like the '59, but not so much the jazz. I think this is primarily due to the fact that it's a 24 fret guitar, so the neck pickup sits closer to the bridge. I have yet to find any pickup that I really like in the neck.

ToneBum

Silver Supporting Member
I agree, I've been able to get good clean tones from the neck but I would never use OD with it....It would be nice if I could.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Tried a JB? I've heard awesome things about the imperials in PRSi...a much more helpful place would be birdsandmoons.com

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a Duncan '59/Jazz combo in mine. I like the '59, but not so much the jazz. I think this is primarily due to the fact that it's a 24 fret guitar, so the neck pickup sits closer to the bridge. I have yet to find any pickup that I really like in the neck.
I swapped the vintage bass to a santana, and it was a big improvement for high gain tones in the neck position. You can forget to change pickups after a lead, go back to playing chords, and it won't mud out like most neck pickups. Vintage bass PUs are good for lower gain, but have too much bass for high gain IMHO.

When I swapped the above, the pickup switching was different, as the Santana only has two wires. Like this, the knotch next to the neck PU selection is a single coil side of the bridge PU. It sounds great, not too noisey, similar tone to the full bridge PU, and has a brightness to it that gives great clarity for higher gain rhythm playing.

ToneBum

Silver Supporting Member
jrjones, I have tried a JB. I didn't mind it (it was better than the HFS) but I prefer my Anderson HC2 over the JB. I guess I'm looking for a pickup that will compensate a bit for the lack of punch and bite that seems to be naturally characteristic in most PRS guitars. They, to my ears, have a smokier/smooth quality compared to a LP which is more raunchy/spanky. I guess I'm trying to get more of a LP type sound. I can't trade my PRS as it was a wedding present from my wife :)

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I can't trade my PRS as it was a wedding present from my wife :)
Haha ...

OT: I named a guitar after my wife when we were dating, as it's a similar color to here hair. Now, she won't let me sell it, but I tell her it doesn't count as a guitar in my collection when she calls me out on gear acquisition.
:cool:

gibson08

I have Grissoms in my CU24, had the HFS&Vbass, HUGE improvement!! lots better for blues, classic rock type stuff, go to the local GC and play a DGT and check out the tones!

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
look into the WCR pickups
I have a goodwood in my PRS CE22 bridge which replaced a Tom Anderson H2
actually pretty similiar tone and output but the WCR seems to have a bit more character
I also did the RS guitar works kit at the same time, so, it's not a 100% apples to apples comparison but I am completely happy with the pickups (darkburst neck)

the guitar can nail some early ZZ, just got paid today kind of tones or singing solo tones.. very articulate, responsive, etc...

I think I want to try the WCR volume pots as well, just to see

SteveO

Tried a JB? I've heard awesome things about the imperials in PRSi...a much more helpful place would be birdsandmoons.com
I have the JB/Jazz combo in my Rowan guitar, love that setup. It's a 22 fret neck so the neck pickup sounds like it's "supposed" to in that guitar.

JUS1BEER

You might try Harmonic designs Z-90, ther take on the P-90. I have had this in my PRS cu 24 for a 1 1/2 or more years now and still like it. The neck pu is great very clean and articulate no mud. The bridge pu has a nice bite, and is very responsive to height adjustments. I recomend them highly. I play blues, rock, country and they work well for all styles. The bridge pup has almost a Tele feel but not as piercing, that may be the extra scale length.

The harmonic designs regular humbucker is also good in this guitar. The WCRs were very good also but for my taste the Z-90's made this baby sing. They will fit in your existing cavity no problem.
Allen

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
You might try Harmonic designs Z-90, ther take on the P-90. I have had this in my PRS cu 24 for a 1 1/2 or more years now and still like it. The neck pu is great very clean and articulate no mud. The bridge pu has a nice bite, and is very responsive to height adjustments. I recomend them highly. I play blues, rock, country and they work well for all styles. The bridge pup has almost a Tele feel but not as piercing, that may be the extra scale length.

The harmonic designs regular humbucker is also good in this guitar. The WCRs were very good also but for my taste the Z-90's made this baby sing. They will fit in your existing cavity no problem.
Allen
I want to try the Z90 in the neck position of my CE22, what pot value are you using with it? do you have a treble bypass cap?
thanks

peterdjp

Silver Supporting Member
Dimarzio-

Tonezone Bridge
36th Anniversary Neck

This combo is killer in a CU24

Trending Topics

Top Bottom