Best pickups for Since I've Been Loving You

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dascher, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dascher

dascher Member

Just as the title says. Mostly pickups under $300. They should also have 4 conductors. Sound clips are always a bonus :dude

2. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquities get me there.

3. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Best I heard were Wolfetone Legends!

4. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I think your real concern should be the amp. Not many amps can reproduce that classic Page/Zep sound so easily, or on a whim. However, with the proper amp and tweaking of said amp, it will come easier through just about any guitar.

5. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Easy. Les Paul through a Plexi cranked until your ears bleed.

The rest is in the hands.

6. Konrad Chen

Konrad Chen Member

If OP is talking about Since I've Been Loving You in TSRTS, this might work.

7. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Any low output pickup will get you there. Just put the volume knob on 5 when your mellow and throw it on 10 when you start cooking.

My favorite Zep tune :dude

8. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I thought you were talking Wilson Pickett................................................wow.

9. LPVM

LPVM Member

The Burstbucker Pros in my Lester aren't too bad for this, especially the neck from 4 - 6 through the right amp on the edge of break up.

I actually like my Strat through a 5E3 best for this.
    The clip below starts clean with that riff and you can here the tone is there. Then it runs off into basic improv in the same key as the gain comes up. That's when you really hear how nice this rig sounds, especially from 1:38 on. It's a great bluesy rig with major mojo.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  10. JPF

JPF Member

JP's phrasing and left-hand physicality throughout that song overpowers any nuance that a specific pickup or even guitar might make, IMHO.

The tone isn't particularly dependant on the specific pickups, string gauge, guitar or amp - the attitude and passive-aggressive left and right hand attack is just plain amazing on the track, and is what makes Jimmy Page such a brilliant guitarist.

11. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

While i beleive that there is some mystery about the exact amps used for the recording of the track, I have heard that Jimmy admitted using his LP, but switched to his telecaster for the solo> Just goes to show!

12. LPVM

LPVM Member

I agree 100%.

That is one of my favorite tunes ever. The guitar work in that song is outstanding.

13. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Agree,I went and installed them on my 58 LP ri and never looked again for any more pickup chasing,for those kind of tones!

14. dascher

dascher Member

The stock Gibson pups are so muddy for me especially in the neck. I've been working on the phrasing part a lot. Just found some Wcr Godwoods locally, they might to too full sounding but that sounds like a good problem. I'm using an AC15 btw

15. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I pulled this excerpt from Wiki on Page, it says what he used, generally, to record with. Because of the amount of time Page was a session guy, he usually played small wattage amps when recording, the first Zep album is a Tele throughout, but, here what they say:

"For the recording of most of Led Zeppelin material from Led Zeppelin's second album onwards, Page used a Gibson Les Paul guitar (sold to him by Joe Walsh) with Marshall amplification. A Harmony Sovereign H-1260 was used in-studio on Led Zeppelin III and Led Zeppelin IV and on-stage from 5 March 1971 to 28 June 1972. During the studio sessions for Led Zeppelin, and later for recording the guitar solo in "Stairway to Heaven", he used a Fender Telecaster (a gift from Jeff Beck). He also used a Danelectro 3021, tuned to DADGAD, most notably on live performances of "Kashmir"."

As far as production for the tune, this is also from Wikipedia:

"This was one of the first songs prepared for the Led Zeppelin III album. The song was recorded live in the studio with very little overdubbing. John Paul Jones played Hammond organ on the song, using the bass pedals for the bassline. It was the only track from the third album that the band had played live prior to the recording sessions, but was reportedly the hardest to record. One story mentions Jimmy Page taking a break following a series of failed attempts to track the solo. Seemingly unable to get the tone he was craving, he set about a walk around the studio to clear his mind. Sitting outside of the recording area was an unplugged amplifier, which he utilised, and recorded the solo we hear today on the next take. Audio engineer Terry Manning called it "The best rock guitar solo of all time.""

Not really answering your question but giving a little info about the tune.

16. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

If your Neck pickup is to muddy. Dial in your Neck pickup on your amp to make it sound good. If your Bridge pickup becomes to bright because of that, roll back the tone knob a little or adjust the height.

If you look at that video Jimmy starts the song full out on the Bridge pickup. You can see that @00:18 when he adjusts the Bridge volume knob and again @ 00:27 and @ 00:31 . He also uses the in-between a little in the middle of the song with both the bridge and neck pickup rolled down to get that spanky clean sound.

[/QUOTE]

17. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I'd have to go with Sheptones. Great PAF's

18. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Sounds like a Tele on the bridge p/u through a cranked small amp.

19. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I change pickups after every song.