Best Pickups for Strat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I play a lot of SRVish blues rock. Right now, I have a strat with 57-62s and a texas special strat. I like both, but something is missing. I know of SDpickups, Van Zants, Fralin blues, etc. I just don't know which ones to get! In your opinion, what are THE BEST pickups for texas blues ala SRV? Gotta choose a set soon!

Cheers,

Mike

2. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

honestly, if you can get him to make you them as he doesn't typically make them currently: Wagner Custom Rewind's SR's are a replica of the singles of a magic strat pre CBS strat. Brad Whitford from Aerosmith and Buck Cherry's guitarist both have them, as well as myself.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I put Rio Grandes in mine when I got it new about 6 years ago. Stelly in the bridge, Muy Grandes in middle and neck. Couldn't be happier. I have Lollars in my tele, but I haven't heard anything I like better in a strat. Happy hunting.

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

+1 on that! I have the same Muy Grande/Stelly config in my Strat. Love it!

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have Bardens in my G&L Legacy and they sound awesome. Plus, I don't have any noise issues.

6. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

For that sound you get playing at the 12th fret. There is none better than Sheptones. It gets that hollow strat sound that I love.
    Check them out :http://www.sheptone.com/strat.htm

8. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Mike,

Great thread!

Thanks.

Tomo

9. mik777

mik777 Member

I called!!! he will make them but their $500.00:crazyguy

10. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Just loaded a set of Copperhead '59's from Jeff Chevalier in Canada. Nice, vintage tone and excellent price. He's easy to reach and definitely responds to customer needs. My Strat is a Fender EJ Sig. I can get the SRV thang, no sweat. He hand winds and it shows in the overlaying sparkle and responsiveness I get with my guitar now. 5.9K for N/M and 6.2K for bridge. He doesn't sell covers but, hey, they're easy to come by. He does Telecaster sets also. Check him out.

http://www.copperheadpickups.com/index.htm

11. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

So many to choose from! Has anybody tried the SDpickups...his 59 set?

Mike

12. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I really love the sound of the Suhr FL (Fletcher-Landau) or the V60/V60LP. The FLs has more responsiveness than the V60s but even then, the V60s sound amazing. The V60LP has a great hot output sound for a strat. I would highly recommend these pickups. Gundy Keller does demos with those in his Suhr strat for Roland and Boss. Here's the DD-7 demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CAgbOTADs

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Which ones?

14. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

Do you mean the Duncan California 50's set? If so, you're talkin' about what I've finally realized were the perfect set for my Japanese Squier.... these are also known as the SSL-1 Vintage Staggered. From what I understand, Gilmour currently has one of these in the bridge of his Black Strat, too.

15. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I think the more recent Suhr Pro S1-3s are loaded with the FL pups. I'm not sure when Gundy Keller got his but if I had to guess, I think it's he has the FLs loaded with the DSH in the bridge. If I had to choose, I'd take those over the 60LPs. But since strat bridge pups tend to sound very thin and shrill, I would maybe recommend loading the neck and middle pup with the FLs and the bridge with the v60LP for a slightly hotter output.

16. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Just curious. Did you use the leftover covers from your EJ pickups on the Copperheads?

17. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

I was once told to go for a pure great tone from your pickups and you can venture in any direction if you choose from there with EQ, Amp, pedals. That seemed logical no? So after Gold Lace, Texas Specials, Fralin Blues, V60LP's,
    Stock AM standards, I called Jim on a Sunday (a few years back) and he answered. I asked if he would consider making me some SR's. He told me he happened to be winding a set for someone he was not at liberty to mention and agreed to wind me some. I got two sets and if for some reason someday I find myself without a set I will quit playing single coils. They are the True Pure Tone of Strat. I would pay $500 in a flash, considering all I spent searching for them it's a deal.
    Hey Jim, PM me if you have a set for sale

18. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Yes, I did use the covers from the EJ pickups, no problems at all, VoodooBlues.

19. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

I also have the Rolphs 63 set and love how they sound.

20. sabby

sabby Member

Call Don Mare.