Best place for guitar repairs/fretwork in Columbus, OH

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by widmaniac, Jul 31, 2017.

1. widmaniac

widmaniac Member

I'm looking for some input on the best place in/near Columbus, Ohio to get some work done on some of my guitars. I typically do my own wiring and setups, but I have several guitars that need some fretwork and I have an acoustic that needs a belly repair, as the bridge is lifting.

I searched, and the only threads I have seen are fairly old so wanted to get some fresh suggestions, and feedback on the places I found with a quick search.

The ones that I have found so far:

5th ave fret shop
    Dave Bush Guitar works
    (Kraig) Phillips Guitars
    German Village Music Haus
    J Thomas Davis Guitar Maker ( though older threads suggest he does not do a lot of repair work these days)
    Guitar House Workshop
    Jacks Guitar Repair

(I know Dan Erlewine is in Athens, but I need someone local, with a reasonable wait list.)

Any feedback, or other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Cal Webway likes this.
  2. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

I'm curious too (as I have a guitar that needs some fretwork).

I have had good experiences with 5th Ave Fret Shop on set-ups and electronics. They have great attention to detail and have fixed problems for me that other shops have created. They do, however, usually have a month or two wait ...

J Thomas Davis -- He did give up the repair business (last I heard, he is focusing on his own custom built guitars).

I've heard good things about Steve Weber (Weber Custom Guitars) in Granville Ohio (a little bit of a trip, but it sounds like it's worth it).

3. BarryJ

BarryJ Supporting Member

Subscribed - I'm curious too, as I have an LP that will be needing a complete refret soon. There are several places I could ship it too, but would love to stay at least semi-local (I'm between Columbus and Cleveland)

4. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Around here (I'm in Dayton) everyone seems to love Mark Kaiser. He works out of centerville music I think.

Cal Webway and bettset like this.
  5. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Dave Bush gets my recommendation. He did a refret of a '61 Gibson Melody Maker that also needed some fretboard planning. That guitar plays great now. He has also done setup work and fret leveling on a couple other guitars for me. He also repaired a cracked top on a Larivee acoustic. Always great work.

I've heard good things about Kraig Phillips from two friends.

Not a fan of German Village, but I have not been there in years.

6. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

J Thomas Davis still does some limited work. Definitely not as much as he used to. Shame, because they were the best.

7. bettset

bettset Member

mark does it right every time. he loves his work, which doesn't seem like work to him at all. he prices his work fairly too. i drive 85 miles to mark. maybe every 3 years or so depending what i may need. he's been on the money every time :munch

Cal Webway and Tele81 like this.
  8. atk1

atk1 Supporting Member

I'm in Dayton too.. Chris Wright does fantastic work.. Wrightfield Instrument Salvage and Repair.. He's a good dude.

Cal Webway likes this.
  9. widmaniac

widmaniac Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am going to look into Kaiser and Wright.

For full disclosure, I've actually used the 5th ave fret shop in the past, but wanted to get some opinions on the alternatives.

Interested to see if anyone else has used any of the others. there just isn't a lot of info other than the old threads here and their websites aren't very up to date.

phoenix 7 likes this.
  10. fetchzee

fetchzee Member

I will always and forever trust Fifth Avenue Fretshop with any of my major guitar repairs or maintenance. They are as good as it gets.

11. widmaniac

widmaniac Member

They did great work, no doubt, and I would have no problem going back there again. They are busy typically and the turnaround is usually a few weeks, which was really the only downside. I had a neighbor suggest Dave Bush, and that got me to looking around. I was specifically hoping to get some opinions on his work as I couldn't find a whole lot otherwise.

12. WeimyWoodson

WeimyWoodson Member

Double Bit Guitar Co in Grandview is pretty awesome. Guy who's worked on my stuff named Jared has been amazing.

Had some work done on my tele right before Christmas, had knee surgery the next day. When Jared called to let me know my guitar was ready I told him my situation and he offered to drive it to me up in Westerville (like 20ish min drive). Came over told me it's all good but if anything else needed another adjustment give him a call. Had a slight buzz on one string, called him up and he picked it up again at my house and dropped it off the next day.

Can't believe that level of customer service. Such a good dude!

13. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Pretty much this. Last time I spoke to Sean, he said it was about a 3 week turn around time. However, the wait is worth it as they always do great work and won't jerk you around.

edit* I've been taking my stuff to them exclusively for years and am always really happy with their work.

14. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Dayton I hope is not too far

But a heck yes tp Chris Wright at Wrightfield Repair and Mark Kaiser thu centerville music.

15. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

Another thumbs up for Dave. It's been a while since I needed him but he was top notch. A good friend in Columbus uses him often and has only good things to report about his work.

16. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

Mark Kaiser has re-fretted a couple of Les Paul's for me and he did a perfect job on both. His prices are better than most also. I also had a vintage Guild acoustic with a lifted bridge and a warped top and he did some magic with a steamer or some type of humidifier in the body and was able to flatten the top and reseat the bridge. I highly recommend Mark's work.

Cal Webway likes this.
  17. 71strat

71strat Member

Athens Ohio.

Dan Erlewine

18. MUCOL

MUCOL Member

My vote goes to Dave Bush guitar works the guy does fantastic work especially in the TRUE fender vintage category which I consider his sweet spot. Granted, he does phenomenal work on all the other brands as well but he's done some work on my vintage strats that is flawless.