Best place for reverb in signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Krank, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Krank

Krank Member

Owing a tube amp for the first time without built-in reverb has made me consider the alternatives.

What's the pros and cons of using a pedal for reverb (vs. an amp's own or a post-amp effect)? Are there even great reverb pedals around?

I'm thinking adding at least one tube stage after the reverb will screw any notion of 'natural' or 'open' sound, but then that's not always what one's after.

Pardon my ignorance - any advice appreciated.

2. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Ambient effects such as reverb are usually placed at the end of the chain. Not sure if a reverb pedal would sound good into an overdriven tube amp (I've never really tried that), though.

Van Amps SoleMate (spring reverb) and Dr. Scientist Reverberator (hall and plate reverbs, and more) are two excellent reverb pedals.

3. d-b

d-b Member

I do last in chain after delay...some do delay last after reverb. Try both and see what is best for you!

I use two...
    [​IMG]or...[​IMG]

Holy Grail Plus for warm, rich natural verb with a bit a sparkle
    Verbzilla for more creative uses like the octo setting

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I run my verbs at the end...

5. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

6. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I do before delay. Depends on the use IMHO.

If you're using it as an always on subtle (spring/hall/etc.) reverb (amp-like) put it at the end of your chain.

If, like me, you're using it for ambience/long/swell type delays. Then I put it before the delay. It swells better in my opinion, stays smooth on the waves of delay, vs. if it is after the delay with each delay it reverbs again and again. Reverb before delay creates a smoother finish (reverb diminishes with each delay).

Of course this all may depend on what pedals you're using. I use Boss's RV-5 mainly on the modulate setting before my delays. (last two pedals in my chain by the way).

zerocharisma and MegaSaiyan25 like this.
  7. geetarman

geetarman Member

Usually last but sometimes I prefer delay last if I use them together.

8. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Try the Digitech Harwire Reverb. Just amazing and uses Lexicon sounds! Don't let the digitech name fool you, this is the new "boutique" line.

TG

modernp likes this.
  9. codenoise

codenoise Member

Verbzilla -> DE-7 -> Magicstomp -> Headrush.

reverb to delay to reverb to delay and you won't have to worry about which comes first :AOK

10. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

How about when you use the dirty channel of you amp.... where do you put your delay or reverb pedal? granting you have a passive effects loop(the more you turn up your master volume the effects loop level also increase.).

11. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I like them at the end, unless you want to delay them or chorus them or phrase sample them. In that case, you can get some cool effects by putting them almost at the end, but right before the delay, chorus, or phrase sampler.

So, usually at the end, but experimentation is good! :)

Also, I've found that for just warm, lush reverb, I usually like reverb tanks in amps or stand-alone reverb units the best. For cool reverb 'effects', I like pedals. Not all the time, and there are some really lush reverb pedals that sound like an amp's reverb tank.

12. thedroid

thedroid Member

I like the Tech 21 Boost RVB. I put it last. With an overdriven amp, I think it would work best in the effects loop, if you've got one.

13. pitner

pitner Member

I run thru the pedals then to a tube reverb and then to the amp. I keep it on all the time and keep it real thick.

14. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

15. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

16. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would place it just before the amp, or in the effects loop (as the last effect) if you have one. As for what pedal would be good, do consider the Hardwire RV-7, it is a fantastic pedal for the price. It is built like a tank, it sounds fantastic, it is true bypass, and you can easily find it in your local store. What's there not to like about it?

17. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Usually at the end. Sometimes I run mine before delay but most of the time after. The only thing that'll sound bad is if you're using the amps distortion rather than getting it your drive from a pedal. In this manner the reverb will become loud and crackley, yielding it unusable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  18. jgyn

jgyn Member

19. b80

b80 Member

So I know this is a super thread bump, but I was messing around earlier and put my holy grail first in line (after my tuner) and it's such a wild sound! Way bigger sounding than having it last. I dunno?? I like weird stuff, I guess.

20. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

I always have my holy grail second, after my light breakup od, but for a specific purpose - a swirly underwater lead tone by running flerb into an overdrive. Use it on a few songs in my band's set. Very cool sound for trippier stuff, of course being mindful that in such a configuration a little flerb goes a long way and turning it up much past noon pretty much makes for a wash of undefined mud.

b80 likes this.