Best place for Vibe in signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve Snider, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

2. Canon

Canon Member

you'll get a lot of different answers here. Personally, the closer to the begining of your chain seems to result in a deeper more authentic sound. With a drive/boost in front, the effect seems to take on a brittle or hollow sound, especially in the lows. I use the ultravibe, --good luck

3. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

I like it as the first pedal...followed by an Octavian and then some type of fuzz or overdrive pedal. I've got a Fulltone Custom Shop Mini Deja Vibe that I absolutely love...it has to be first to sound right to me. I think I read somewhere that a 'vibe is simliar to a phaser or wha...they usually go in the beginning of the chain. The vibe works real good with the OD-100 doesn't it!

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Any notch filter type modulation devices should go first (wah - phaser-vibe). Running another device first (an OD for example) might work for some, but if you spend the big bucks to achieve an authentic vibe sound you will get something else if you modifiy the original sound coming out of your guitar before the vibe sees the signal.

5. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

6. improv4

improv4 Member

You'll should get a "better" response from an early placement in the chain allowing a fuller guitar signal unmodified by an OD or distortion. Throw the vibe into an OD afterwards and look out.

Above all else though experiment and listen.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If I could add on here...what about pedal order specifically between vibe and wah?

One other thing....I notice, no matter whether before or after (though there may be a slight difference) with vibe on AND Octron (octave up and down) there is a large BOOST in the output...

Anyone else getting that?

8. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Here is what works for me;

Guitar - Wah - Octive - Fuzz - Vibe - Amp

9. dave s

dave s Member

Hi Steve:

My Retrosonic Chorus Ensenble (Chorus and Vibe) is last in the line of time based pedals on my board. So it looks like this:

reverb >>> delay >>> Vibe >>> dirt pedals

Once or twice a night I have the delay and vibe or chorus on at the same time. The order the pedals are in now produces the clearest 'mud' when using lots of FX.

brother dave snyder

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I like it before dirt, after wah.

11. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Excuse the slight derailment here, but I'm wondering what your amp setup is with this arrangement. I have never had good results running verb or delay into OD or fuzz boxes...