Best place/price to buy a Nobels ODR-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkWorth, Nov 13, 2005.

1. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

3. dosmun

dosmun Member

Music Toyz carries them

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

naw you want an old green one from ebay :) they are supposed to sound better i have one it sounds nice.

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

yeah after that goof up i never payed attention to the silver ones :) thanks for clearin that up. but green sho is purty.

6. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

i still need one...:(

badly!

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

8. AL30

AL30 Member

Apparently the only difference between the white and green models is the white has the drive and level pots reversed. That's it - open it up and switch the pots. Never done this myself but I have heard from several who have.

I've got two green ones. Wow, is that a great pedal.

There are some listed here

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/

AL

9. raz

raz Member

I've got one of the green ones I could part with.

BH

10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Still have that pedal?

11. drolling

drolling Member

Duhh.. getting a 'no specified thread' message when I click on that link, so just in case this hasn't come up yet; Nobels admitted they goofed up the first batch of silver ones, so if you're buying used, avoid early production current models..

Better still, as suggested above, try to snag an old green one. They're really, really cool sounding pedals. The online store where I got mine's long gone belly up, but it was definitely the best 39 bucks I ever spent.

My opinion, the ODR-1 blows most of the other el-cheapos (bad monkey, anyone??) away. In fact, it's as good as many other ODs that cost 4x as much!!

12. deke99

deke99 Member

I just picked up a gray ODR-1 from adirondack. Just thought I'd put the 2 cents in to say Wow! It is exactly what I personally have been looking for. I have an 808 which is great to push a Fender (since the 808 gives the mids that the Fender lacks), but with a Les Paul/Marshall it's just too much mids!! In steps the ODR-1.

All I wanted was to use the volume of the Marshall around 4 so I had a nice guitar volume pot balance between clean and slight crunch and be able to step on a pedal to basically take my same amp tone, but turn the amp volume up to about 7, which on an older Marshall is just more grit, not really more volume. The ODR-1 did that, for $64 to boot! I have found note definition, sustain, and a touch of compression, in a pedal. All without changing the basic character of the guitar/amp.

13. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Pick up a gray ODR-1 & have indyguitarist mod it for you...

14. Thazy

Thazy Member

Does the mod improve the bypass signal. I had an ODR-1 and when it's on, it does sound good but, off, it sucks major tone big time. Had to sell it because of that.

15. deke99

deke99 Member

I've read that it sucks tone as well. Without having a looper to put it in, I can't get an immediate comparison of the bypassed tone vs. straight into the amp, but after playing bypassed and then removing the pedal from the chain as fast as I can, I didn't notice a huge tone difference.

Am I still planning on making it true bypass by putting the guts into a different box . . . along with a second switch and gain pot so I can have 2 gain settings available at the stomp of a switch. I've read that the switches aren't very reliable as well which is another reason to go with the 're-house' project.

16. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

The Nobels ODR-1 that you are talking about is the older one in the Green casing and it has Nobels "spelled out"...used by a lot of Nashville studio players. You can find them used on eBay every now and then.

The newer models sound nothing like the originals, read the reviews on harmony central, it'll explain the difference to you.