Best place to by a strat in Philly? HSS or SSS?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, Jan 25, 2012.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Any Philadelphia guys have opinions on the best selection of American strats in Philly? This spring or summer I am going to start the search!
    :)

What about configuration? I love the Duncan EVH pickup and would love a guitar to have this installed, but if I find a great SSS Strat, I might run with it and if I want a humbucker bridge could do the Rio Grande Rail Runner which I love too.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Cintiolis has a lot usually. Sam Ash in Franklin Mills is OK I guess. I would try buying used if possible to save 3-400 bucks

Also, don't discount Highway 1 strats. Especially the earlier ones with the small headstocks. They're sweet. I just got one.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Try the philly guitar show in the spring D town has nice stuff. The days of large selection are long gone. even GC seems to space the guitars a bit farther. Down in delawaer I think there is ashop in middeltown , had a branch in claymont but closed up there were a fender dealer. Ruisso music in trenton. and all 3 GC as well.
    Used is the way to go!

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

Used is the way to go but I will only buy a 2008 or later American Standard fat strat or maybe, maybe a three single strat. The new American Standards are the first strats I have really loved and i have been playing since 1986. Never liked strats till these new redesigned models so I guess I could comb craigslist till I find one that speaks to me. That is the problem, I prefer ro play a bunch first.

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

I know Cintiolis, I can try there. The Guitar Center in Delaware says they have lots too.

6. sockeye

sockeye Supporting Member

In DE you can save on tax. I would stay away from 8th St Music, personally...

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks! I will look for the one that speaks to me, but I am trying to decide on whether to go with three singles of HSS. Either way I could do a humbucker bridge but I prefer to get the Duncan EVH/'78 which I love! If not, would try the Rio Grande Rail Runner single coil sized humbucker. Love Rio pickups.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

9. jpervin

jpervin Member

If you want to travel to the suburbs, give West Chester Music or Taylor Music a try. Both are in West Chester and both carry Fender guitars.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

I am 15 minutes from West Chester, good call!!!
    I live in Wayne.

11. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I don't like Taylor's at all they advertise FOR FREE on craigslist all the time and it's not meant for businesses. They do it repeatedly too even after flagging.

I'm not too familiar with West Chester Music lately but in the past they never seemed to have much.

Cintioli's is probably the best selection new and used.

12. darkdaysindeed

darkdaysindeed Supporting Member

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I agree to stay away but is 8th street even open anymore? I believe they were closed because of flood damage and never reopened?

I say Cintioli's and you'd probably save more than tax money with Benny.......

14. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

8th street is in Pennsauken last I remember