Best place to find computer for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cocheese, Jun 14, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I'm honing in on my setup for a little home studio that I am putting together. Does anyone know of a good brand of computer or place to get one? I see names like Music XPC and Carillion, but I'm not sure what kind of pedigree they have. Is there someone that makes a good one for less $$$?

Thanks!

(The more help I can get on this, the quicker I can have some clips for you guys!) :p

2. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

I'm currently looking into a DAW rig for myself cocheese.... at the recomendation of several friends I trust, I'm planning to purchase through Sweetwater. I've been real impressed with the customer service just in calling and asking questions. Several friends have purchased quite a bit of stuff from them and received continued customer support of the highest degree. I can't help but think that this alone is worth bypassing a small amount of savings for that kind of service over time. I guess it depends on how much expereince and expertise you have though.

Another option might be newegg.com, but I really don't know who has the cheapest prices. Keep us posted on what you end up with....

3. Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan Member

It's really a matter of how comfortable you are with computers and how much time you are willing to spend n it. For my recording set-up I ordered each peice individually from a couple of sites (newegg.com was a major one. They are also pretty friendly on the phone and have a quick RMA process). I spent a little more than I might have going with a Dell or some other pre-built vendor, but I got exactly what I was looking for.

If you are looking to save money, Dells tend to run at great prices, esp. if you catch them on one of their better sales. If youre comfortable working in a computer to install additional hardware (or know someone who is), you could get a fairly cheap dell with a good processor in it, beef up the RAM yourself, install a second harddrive, and throw in whatever you plan on using for your d/a conversion.

I've seen some systems online that cater to people building home studios. I don't, however, know anyone who has gone that route. I imagine the machines are probably built with quality components. And whatever audio input devices it comes with will already be installed, which is potentially good if you aren't comfortable opening up the computer yourself (though there are USB and firewire devices for audio converstion that can just be plugged in rather easily).

If I were recommending a system to a friend who was a little apprehensive about messing with the insides of a computer, but who isn't completely put off by the idea, I'd say go with a Dell and add whatever extra components are needed from there.

4. covert

covert Member

Your nearest Apple dealer, or one of the online ones.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Ya beat me to it! :D

6. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

That's what I'm doing! Finally moving to a Mac....

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm a PC user of 15 years and I'd second the mac suggestion. A few years ago I would have recommended Dell but the last few I bought from them have had less than admirable performance. Of all the PCs I've had, the ones I built have performed best.

8. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i build custom-one off machines for specific types of industries (mostly graphics and engineering)....i've been considering doing some DAW machines (and laptops)...I'm not terribly impressed by the machines i've seen out there so....

if anyone's interested, i'd be willing to assemble one for cost for them...

dave