Best place to get a 5e3 kit (For the money)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Jul 8, 2019.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Love to get a "real" 5e3 kit... Looking for the best one, for the money. I'd like to keep it between $400-$500. Looking for a little bit of headroom to use as a clean platform with a band (about the same headroom as and AC15 would be perfect).

Any suggestions?

I'd love a 1x12 combo, but already have an empty tweed head and a Dr. Z 1x12 cab with a Blue I can use until I get more funds to get a combo cab....I also have a 1x12 Lopoline cab with a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog I'm trying to sell to fund a combo cab.

Thanks in advance!

2. 71strat

71strat Member

3. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

4. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Mojotone has kits as well.

CloneTone likes this.
  5. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I like the Triode kits. Quality parts and transformers(ClassicTone). About $460 including chassis but less tubes, cab, and speaker.

6. harvey j

harvey j Member

7. mikey69

mikey69 Member

15% off going right now !

CloneTone likes this.
  8. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

https://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKits_x/Tweed-Deluxe-Amp-Kit

The nice thing about Mojotone, is you can buy any variation of the kit, with or without nearly every component. So if you already have a cab and speaker, you can just buy the chassis, parts and tubes.

The one not so nice thing about Mojotone, is the cabinets can take a month to get. That's the only con I've found about Mojotone, they are excellent at everything else.

9. menlow

menlow Supporting Member

No457 Snowy likes this.
  10. LazarusDB

LazarusDB Member

11. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Thanks! The chassis and cab are from Weber VST. The caps, pots, resistors, jacks, lamp housing and sockets (and other incidental parts I'm forgetting) are from Antique Electronics Supply or Mouser. The customer supplied the tubes (NOS) and speaker (ultimately a Celestion blue). I made the parts board out of an old heavy duty PCB material blank from a large stash I scored from Collins Radio surplus for pennies probably about 40 years ago now. Eyelets are from Mouser. Wire was from ApexJr.

12. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've built kits from
    -Marsh
    -Boothill
    -Weber
    -Triode Electronics

Boothill and Weber are the cheap options because they use relatively cheap parts. The Champ I built from Weber got sold off and the Champ I built from Boothill got so many parts replaced and upgraded that it's not fair to say it's from Boothill anymore.

Marsh is great all around quality and comes with really good instructions for a first time builder but you pay for it.

Triode is my favorite kit supplier with a mix of high quality parts and more reasonable pricing, probably the best for the money and I prefer wiring an amp on turret boards rather than eyelet boards. With Triode, you can source your chassis from anywhere and you can dig around to find one that would have the tubes upright for a head chassis rather than extended out the bottom for a combo mount. Go Triode!

davidespinosa likes this.
  13. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Member