Best poly-synth for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by thatguynamedjosh, May 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I’m not sure what your budget is, but if you could swing it, I might suggest you consider the following.

Buy one poly synth to serve your needs as described in your OP. I’d agree that the Deepmind 12 would be a good choice.

Consider also getting a used Arturia MicroBrute. It is in my opinion, one of the best analog mono synths around for learning the basics of subtractive synthesis. It’s inexpensive, sounds quite good, and doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles. All of which makes it a terrific platform for learning.

Couple those two synths with a Syntorial subscription, and I’d say you’d be on a great path toward progress.

2. thatguynamedjosh

thatguynamedjosh Member

I read somewhere that lots of New Order songs had so many synth layers to them, they were impossible to recreate live. Crazy what you can do with minimal skill and knowledge of music, really inspiring.

3. thatguynamedjosh

thatguynamedjosh Member

I’ve heard good things about the MicroBrute, plus there’s this cover of one of my favorite songs that uses it:

Never heard of Syntorial, I’m guessing it’s a guide to synths (syntorial = synth + tutorial, duh... I’m so dumb).

4. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

Not aware of too many options besides the Deepmind that meet all those requirements for that price range.

Minilogue is cool. Though only 4, and sometimes I think it sounds a little thin compared to my Rev2. Rev2 needs to be dialed in. But it’s hard to beat as far as bang for the buck. But you’re still talking twice the price you mentioned.

Personally I’d recommend saving up for a Rev2. Or possibly a Korg Prologue. Another bang for the buck candidate.

Or have a go at a mono synth. The Grandmother is alot of synth for the money. Sounds HUGE and will cover a lot of territory. Plus the spring verb just has a vibe that makes it a winner.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    thatguynamedjosh likes this.
  5. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

I'm a guitar player looking to add a synth to my mix, I like the Roland JD-X1, mostly for ambient fills and cool little solos, I'm not looking into becoming a synth player per se, but haven't purchased yet.

thecornman likes this.
  6. thatguynamedjosh

thatguynamedjosh Member

I’ve heard it on YouTube and played it in person. Didn’t like it too much. Keys were too tiny, and didn’t sound as good as other synths in that price range.

sandcastle likes this.
  7. thecornman

thecornman Member

I picked up a used JD-Xi for about 375 CAN about a year ago! I personally think it is one of the best buys to be had on the used market and it gets tons of use in my setup or alone.

You get two digital synths, a kick ass drum section and an analog synth all in one with the ability to lay down 4 seperate sequences at the same time. You can throw down a drum track, bass track, pad track and lead track if you please. I use it to come up with song ideas all the time. Every time I play it I am inspired to come up with new ideas and can't put it down.

Yes it has mini keys, but you can use any midi keyboard with it if that is an issue. As for sound I think it sounds great and cover all sorts of ground well. The built in effects system helps in this regard as well.

8. thatguynamedjosh

thatguynamedjosh Member

It is very versatile, I’ll give it that. And the MIDI keyboard is a pretty good idea. I’ll look into it.

sandcastle and thecornman like this.
  9. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I pretty much had the same reply written when I saw the thread had been updated and then snipped my duplicate comments. I wanted a minisynth for sitting on the couch and toying with sequences as well as controlling soft synths. Picked up a used white JD-Xi last fall and added the Patchbase iPad editor for instant control of all the parameters. The vocoder and the 1/4" input for pitch-to-midi control with guitar are cool features. It was the first hardware synth I've paid money for and lead me to ordering another mini analog on Monday, Fedex tracking shows a new IK UNO synth was delivered to the house 30 minutes ago...

[​IMG]

10. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

Never been excited by the Rev2 sound. Admittedly I haven't gotten to play one in person, but the best demos of it that I've heard were with effect pedals. Alone it doesn't do much for me. P6 is awesome, but even more than a Rev2 in price and it does less, feature-wise...so would be hard to recommend that one to the OP. Prologue seems more interesting than the Rev even with fewer mod options.

sandcastle likes this.
  11. thatguynamedjosh

thatguynamedjosh Member

Looks cool.

12. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

The Rev2 presets are underwhelming. But, it’s a powerful synth. It will easily get you into Prophet territory for half the bread. Just a matter of knowing how to make the sounds. It’s all there though. Could be you just don’t like the Prophet sounds?

sandcastle likes this.
  13. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

That's where I'm at right now.

I'm looking for something to create background synth with drums to play guitar along with.

Do keyboard synths naturally come with drum kits?

sandcastle likes this.
  14. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

As far as I know, no, but that' maybe as I am looking at 'bottom feeder' synths.

15. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

another +1 for the deepmind 12. You absolutely can not do better for the price IMO.