Best pot value for a simple passive "volume box"?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shakkal, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I want to build myself a simple, passive, "volume box" meaning just a pot in a box that I would use to fine tune my stage volume (or allow me to have some volume "in reserve" by doing soundcheck with it set at75% or so).

Either if I use it in the effects loop or in front of the amp, the box would most likely have some sort of buffer before it (pedal or dedicated unit).

What would be the best value of pot to use to minimize tone loss? Low like 10K or 25K Ohm or as high as 1MEG? Does it make any difference with the buffer in front? Thanks!

2. 4styx

4styx Member

To tell you the truth,you'd be just as well off using your guitar's volume control.Any pedal would give you the same effect.An attenuator would be the way to go.:hide

3. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks for chiming in. Actually I use my guitar's volume knob a lot (for cleaning up) but what I want is to control overall volume after OD and effects without having to reach back to the amp. In a nutshell I want to make a volume pedal without the rocker, just a pot with a big knob ... I just don't know what value pot to use.

I guess I could just swap my boost pedal's volume knob for a bigger one and adjust with my foot but the effect would be too drastic ...

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

25K is the normal value for post-buffered volume knobs.

you could do what i did and put that 25k pot in a box with a stomp switch that bypasses it, along with an LED that lights up when bypassed. you would then have a nice passive solo pedal for boosting volume for leads. it works great in an amp's effects loop. light off=rhythm volume, set with the pedal's knob. light on=lead volume, set at amp.

5. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

I would suggest a 100k pot personally. However, keep in mind that even with the pot turned all the way up you will not be at the same volume as you would be with the volume box bypassed.
    bw

6. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks, cool ideas and info.