Best Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lareplus, Feb 7, 2012.

1. lareplus

lareplus Member

Rugged, noise free, versatile. . What have you been using all these years and works perfectly every time??

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

VL PP2+, ISO-5
    CAE/MXR MC-403
    Cioks DC8 and DC10

Owned them all, no noise issues whatsoever, no issues of any kind whatsoever.

3. butrus

butrus Member

Also BBE Supa Charger is great

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

Voodoo Labs PP2+/Iso5 and the Cioks Pro line seem to be the best choices I've come across for versality, isolation, low noise, low EMF.... I do think it's time for VL to upgrade with a new version that has more high current supplies for digital pedals (not an issue for me but I see people needing more current going Cioks).

Generally though I say linear, regulated supplies vs digital switch mode supplies which Ido my best to avoid in audio signal chains of any sort --too much line noise and EMF typically.

5. bobwl

bobwl Member

It's hard to go wrong with a Voodoo Labs PP2+. However, I got a BBE Supa-charger new for about $70 less than the PP2+, and I didn't need the couple extra features the PP2+ had.

6. mcf

mcf Member

I can only endorse this company. I have a range of pedals with stupid different V and mA requirements plus AC/DC issues. I emailed the support and got a very quick reply from Poul Cioks himself. He went through my pedals and made suggestions about the best way to set it up. In the end I felt embarrassed taking his time as the responses were so detailed. I have seen others with similar experiences. I have NEVER had so much service and it seems like I am not alone.
    The gear itself is solid and reliable.
    very happy.

7. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Happy user of a Cooks AC8 here

8. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Voodoo Labs Iso-5 has not failed me touring here or abroad. I wish VL had variable mains power so I didn't have to use a stepdown transformer to play in Europe.

9. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Burkey Flatliner Pro. Had mine for about 5 years now, and other than having to replace one fuse due to operator error (accidentally shorted out the AC output), I've had absolutely no issues with it. Not found anything else that will truly do what the Flatliner does (200mA isolated on each DC output, plus a 9VAC 1000mA output).

I also have an MXR MC403, which is great, but I've only had that a couple of months, so can't comment on long-term reliability.

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I've had 2 MC-403s since they came out and just recently sold one. They have been very reliable and quiet. In all honesty, all the PSUs I have mentioned using: VLs, Cioks, 403-they have all been reliable and problem free.

11. Cooters23

Cooters23 Member

I have been through the MC-403, Fuel Tank Jr., and currently run a PP2+ and an ISO-5 and couldn't be happier with the VL stuff. As far as reliability there were no issues with any that I've owned.