Best practice device that you own?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by djdrdave, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

Boomerang. A looper is great, because I can't solo without puting down the chords first.

2. steveRB

steveRB Member

Tascam DP-008. Simple 8-track recorder with built-in mics. I use an Alesis SR-18 drum machine with it.

3. wailsound

wailsound Member

Ipod touch Iphone and Ipad with tap tempo and IReal Book, I have just started to learn Jazz thisnyear and this has been by far the best little tool I have used I also have an app that is a randomiser I enter in the Different modes in a key and it picks one for me. Its coming to the point that you can do away with most other devices.

4. KhKhKh

KhKhKh Member

I just got my Micro Boss BR and find it's not as simple as it looks. At this moment I'm just enjoying playing along the mp3s before trying out other advance facilities.

Btw, if anybody can help:-

1. How do I increase the volume of the guitar without increasing the volume the mp3? Is it only at the input where it starts at 0dB and can be increased to 8dB?

2. How do I switch off the effects such as flanger, chorus, delay etc?

I know there's a manual on it but I think it can only be understood by people whom are familiar with recordings etc

Thanks

5. jtodds

jtodds Member

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

I still have my much-loved & well-worn copy of the Schirmer violin edition that I bought when I was about 16 - I'd love to tell you I have them all down by now by that would be a huge lie. It's kinda something I've always had around and dipped into from time to time.

I've never played the classical guitar arrangements, only the violin originals with pick/fingers on electric. I figured Bach had so much lute music that already lays great on guitar, I did play some of that on classical at one time...

7. Johns7022

Johns7022 Senior Member

I would tell you but musicians are naturally competitive..

8. p.j.

p.j. Member

A looper is pretty essential for me. I like the Jamman Solo because it is tiny and comes w/ 35 minutes of looping w/o any upgrade.

PJ

9. fly135

fly135 Member

I just bought one of these. I like that it puts everything in one application. Music and Drum tracks, looping/pitch/temp controls, recording, and multifx presets. I haven't even got to the part about removing guitar or vocals. It's the most convenient practice tool I've bought.

10. gill

gill Member

this IReal book is a great app-very useful.In addition, I would also say a looper (I have the RC2) and the 1/2 speed feature on Windows 11 have been very helpful to me.

11. dsw67

dsw67 Member

Transcribe software with a midi foot controller = boatloads of fun! Playalong with your favorite tunes for hours without taking your hands off the guitar. I love it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  12. MSLBend

MSLBend Senior Member

RC-50 looper ... by a very, very wide margin. There's more fun and learning potential in that box than anything else I own.

13. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Audacity. It's a poor man's Garage Band (hah!) that's free and works on a Windows PC.

I tend to come up with a melody before anything else. Backwards-engineering a melody to get a bassline and riff or vamp all precisely recorded around a click track is pretty good practice.

I tried loopers but didn't find them very intuitive. It's much easier for me to lock in with a click track, record, then cut out a precise part of the track for looping on a computer than figure out how to do this all on a pedal.

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

15. Marcfordsfuzz513

Marcfordsfuzz513 Member

16. ecm1117

ecm1117 Member

A looper (right now I use the Boss RC-2) and a metronome - so many possibilities for some serious practice, as well as some fun. I use them every day.

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

My stand light has been coming in handy when I practice. Maybe they need to make Big Note editions of my favorite books.

18. monty

monty Member

Another vote for a looper- good for so many things.

19. GiddyHitch

GiddyHitch Member

Slow down software. I use Amazing Slow Downer myself, but there are a lot options out there.

20. Kappy

Kappy Member

Somewhere between Transcribe!, a looping pedal, and a metronome (as someone above has said, a music stand is a nice thing to have too, so is a bookshelf or a few).