1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

best preamp for $300-400???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by teleking36, Oct 10, 2006.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

your thoughts/recommendations/suggestions...

2. Ascension

Ascension Member

Check out Carvins ebay page as they have blown out new scrach and dent Tone Navigators from time to time for under $400. I had one at one time and still use one regularly at a friends studio it was stellar as a stand alone preamp. I have owned in the past both the Rocktron Chameleon and Voo-Doo Valves, ART SGE2000, Digitec Twin Tube and a Marshall JMP-1. I liked the Tone Nav better that the Rocktrons, ART and Digitec and as well for most stuff as the Marshall.

3. elambo

elambo Member

or are you talking about mic preamps?

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

5. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You might also be able to find a used Grace 101 mic pre somewhere near this range... they are outstanding for the price..

I also have an RNP and it does a great job at this price point..

6. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

sorry i wasn't specific. i'm looking for a good mic pre. thanks for the recommendations so far.

7. elambo

elambo Member

One channel or two?

Grace or RNP - two perfect suggestions, depending on how many channels you need.

8. SteveE9C6

SteveE9C6 Member

You might wish to check out the Precision Solo. I recently saw one on ebay for $300.

9. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

depending on what sort of risk you want to take...
    You could sell your other stuff if your not too attached to it ..and take the 300 you'll spend anyways and get an rme fireface 400 or 800 which have very good preamps built right into them.
    Not sure if your at a higher level than that but its another route you could possibly take....

10. EVT

EVT Member

I've heard good things about the Rane MS-1b, said to be really clean, especially good for acoustic guitars, and vocals too. It was said to be a "poor man's to a John Hardy."

I haven't tried one myself, but I would like to at some point.

Good luck finding what you need.

:)

evt

11. philbarnes

philbarnes Member

I snagged a couple of GT Bricks from eBay for less than 270 each. No frills TUBE preamps that sound great and also are great DIs for guitar and bass.

12. EVT

EVT Member

We have a GT brick too, and we like it a lot.

evt

13. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

I use one of these and it does the trick nicely. I took out the crappy tubes it comes with and put in some NOS ones and it sounds great. Plus, you get two channels.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTMPAD