Best Preamp going into Mbox2 around $400?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mingo, May 19, 2011.

1. mingo

mingo Member

I'm looking for a 2 channel preamp that will be going into an Mbox 2. I've been thinking about an ART MPA Gold, does anyone have some other suggestions in that price range?

2. Steve73

Steve73 Member

3. sgv

sgv Member

Another vote for the RNP.

You might be able to find a used Focusrite TwinTrack Pro. Those are pretty nice.

4. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

The Black Lion pre gets great reviews. RNP gets good reviews, although I could see that being a bit sterile to some peoples tastes. Art MPA is okay.

Another really decent sleeper - M Audio DMP3 and send it off for a mod. I know the guys at JJ Audio do a spectacular job (had them mod my Apex 205 w/ a lundahl tranny, as well as Oktava 012s). Lots of really clean gain. They pretty much take out all the cheap components and smooth it out of its harshness.

Not a "colored" pre, very very clean, but also a very affordable option.

Also, the Audient MICO looks really cool, could probably find a used one for a good price. The variable phase control looks great. But not a big deal (little labs makes a nice little box for that)

Anyway, taht should get you started down the long road of searching for a 2 channel pre haha. Best of luck!