Best Price on Carling 316-PP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jul 28, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Smallbear has great prices/services so that's where I buy my parts, but they are out of this switch. Mouser wants more than twice Smallbear's price. Any other good affordable sources for this switch? I'd like to buy a few.
    Thanks...

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Unless you absolutely have to have a DPDT you can get a 3PDT for much less. It's just another pole which makes it very easy to hook up an LED. If you don't want an LED just don't hook it up and it will function the same as the DPDT.

You can get them from several places - small bear, aron's stompbox forum, effects connection and pedal parts plus.

AL

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Al! Yeah, I think a DPDT is needed. This is for a Tonebone Classic, which has an LED. It was suggested in this forum to hardwire this switch instead of getting the stock replacement switch, which is kinda crappy - I've had to replace it once before.

I'll check your sources for the Carling.

4. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Let us know how this goes...I'm going to do it to my TB Classic as well sometime.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

BillyK I think you misread my post or I didn't explain it very well.

The suggestions for purchasing a switch were for the 3PDT switches and NOT the Carling.

The only places I know to get the Carlings you've already mentioned. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What's the matter with the switch in this particular pedal? Just curious. I usually build my pedals or mod cheap ones so I have no experience with high end pedals.

AL

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

DigitalMan:
    I'll def keep you in the loop on this.

AL30:
    I love the Tonebone Classic, but it has a PCB mounted footswitch that is problematic for an unusually high % of owners. The switches are apparently of low quality and they become intermittent. I know that switches go bad, but these are legendary for their crappy quality.

Reportedly, the fix is to buy a high-quality switch that is shallow and to hard-wire it to the PCB.

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The typical DPDT switch that is used is the same one that is in Voodoo Lab pedals - a cheap import that does not stand up to heavy use. You can see it in a blowup of the switch here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plunger and actuator are plastic, which doesn't necessarily break, they just come out of alignment real easy. The Carling 316PP is not bombproof, but it is constructed better and should last longer.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the insight into these switches.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

The reason the switches don't hold up, is because they were never intended to run low level signal like guitar level. It's meant for a couple amps, where there's enough juice to jump any imperfections in the switch or contacts. They work fine in high level applications like amp switching, etc.

The carling is MUCH better for sure. But they are much more expensive. You get what you pay for.

IMO the 3PDT is much better for almost any use. Just don't bother with one set of contacts.

10. big mike

BTW All the switches are imports. Even Carling now adays is made in Mexico. :)

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Big Mike. So the TB switches may not be defective, or cheap, just not for this low-level signal application. Makes sense.

Still can't find the freak'in Carling for less than $18 or so.

12. big mike

No, they are cheap it's just they're not meant for the application they're so widely used for.

Get the blue 3PDT from effectsconnection.com or Smallbear, or something. They work fine for 5 bucks or so.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I'll need to look into the switch you are suggesting, as I have space considerations - it's real tight in the Tonebone, especially when you are not using the method of connecting the switch (hardwired instead of PCB mounted) that the TB was designed for. The switch as to be shallow in depth.

14. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yeah, the carlings aren't necessarily "better."

Just get a DPDT from either www.effectsconnection.com or www.pedalpartsplus.com

John and Kirk are great to work with, and the DPDT you'll get from them will be every bit as good as the carling.

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Mr. Sage!

What I don't know is if it is sufficiently shallow. It's real tight in that freak'in ToneBone!!

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Yup, I looked at the switches and they are much deeper than the Carling. That's the deal-breaker.

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Smallbear has 'em back in stock as of this AM.

1/2 the price of Mouser and others.

If you are interested, you should buy some now, as having stock in this item at these prices can be a problem.

Hope this helps other ToneBone switch sufferers!