best production amp for Alt. Country & Surf?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nasonm, Mar 12, 2008.

1. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

Must have tube driven reverb & be less than $900....that's it....lemme have it!

PS...please don't say Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. I sold mine 2 months ago and I am starting to regret it.

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

Used Vox AC30CC2 or new AC15CC... You may want to replace the reverb tank with an accutronics to get that dripping wet reverb, but hey - if it's good enough for Tweedy it's good enough for me!

Also, I have a little Ampeg J12 that has unreal wet reverb - for playing out I think you can't go wrong with an Ampeg Reverberocket.

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    jeff tweedy has the limited edition handwired AC30 head and cab that has reverb. it came out several years ago. i was at my guitar/amp tech (schroeder guitar repair) one day and were talking about AC30's and he had tweedy AC30, along with tweedy's handwired limited edition JTM 45 offset panel, in for re-tubing. two incredibly nice pieces of gear and hard to find now... when they were on SNL though he had two of the new, white anniversary AC30s...

for surf and alt country sounds, a used silverface vibrolux reverb or pro reverb would work great and should be in your price range.... the AC30CC would probably sound good too although i agree that you might want to replace the reverb tank. the stock reverb sounds a little artificial to me.

if you can find an old ampeg gemini those sound great and are reasonably priced.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

2 amps come to mind.... the last two amps I bought:

Fender Super Reverb RI
    Vox AC30cc2

The super was a little more american sounding (obviously) and had a better alt-country tone. I just couldn't coax the crunch sound I wanted out of it. Fortunately, the crunch tone I wanted is very easy to get from an ac30.

I sold my SRRI to a alt country and surf guy, and saw his band play after - he's still really diggin it. Just the perfect amount of headroom for those applications IMO.

5. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

if you had a little more cash to spend i'd say get a D/13 SJT 10/20 or FTR37