Best programmable Delay for under $300

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ricks57custom, May 23, 2008.

1. ricks57custom

ricks57custom Member

Can someone steer me towards a delay that has programmable presets, is very quiet and is under $300? I saw the Empress Super Delay and it's amazing but it's out of my price range.

Open to all suggestions.

Thanks!!

2. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

With only $300, I would save up your money until you could get something solid.

But in all seriousness, try a Boss dd-20 and a Line6 DL4. I prefer the Boss.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

DD-20, or NOVA delay. Line 6 can be unreliable and overly-buffered.

4. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I have the DD-20, DL4 (very reliable), and am thinking about a Nova Delay. All of them have different options; dd-20 has 4 presets with the manual selection as well so 5 really, dl4 has 3, and tc nova has 9. The DD-20 is for more straight forward type delays meaning you can't really tweek them so much were the dl4 is infinitely tweakable so you can get a really crazy. If you get the dd-20 make sure you buy the optional footswitch for the tap tempo. Trust me you'll thank me later...:cool:

I'm pretty sure that the DL4 is true bypass...there is an option to make your repeats fade off when you stop off the effect instead of just cutting it out but I'm pretty sure it is a true-bypass pedal.

5. d-b

d-b Member

dd20 for me...I looked at the nova but heard you can't see what preset you are on:worried:worried

6. ricks57custom

ricks57custom Member

I have a Line 6 DL-4 and it's OK. It's a little noisy but not like the TC Nova. I like the sound quality better on the Nova. I will try the Boss DD20 but not having a tap tempo built in kind of sucks. Someone mentioned the Stereo Memory Man with Hazari but I want to try it.

BTW, the Nova shows which preset you're on. :D

7. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

8. d-b

d-b Member

what do you mean? There is a tap tempo and you can plug in an external tap so you don't have to hold down buttons and such:messedup:messedup:messedup

9. Fan-Man

Fan-Man Member

Nova or DL4...I sold my DL4 for a Nova and I am still happy with the decision. I do miss the low-res delay on the DL4.

However, the settings for the dotted eighth note delay and the stereo delays make the Nova the better delay in my opinion.

10. ricks57custom

ricks57custom Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a TC Nova and while I like the sound of it, it's too noisy. Noisier than any of my other pedals. I wish there was a way to make it quieter (as my previous post asked).

d-b,
    I must have misunderstood about the tap tempo and footswitch. I'll go check it out.

Thanks and keep them coming!

11. mosaic

mosaic Supporting Member

You should at least gibe the DD-20 a try.... good sound and easy figure out

12. KCWM

KCWM Member

the DD20 has a built in tap function, but plugging in the control pedal just makes it that much easier to access.

13. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

i know it's been beaten to death already but what's up with the noise problems on the novas? Mine's totally quiet and that's with their power supply. Mine also works with a pedal pad power supply as well but bleeds a little of the ticking when using it with my fuzz. This has never been any noisier than my dd20. Has no one a solution yet?

14. radcliff

radcliff Member

I power my Nova through my PP2, it has no noise and sounds GREAT. My delay search has been over for quite a while now.

15. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

How about the G-sharp?

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I like my TCE Nova

17. ricks57custom

ricks57custom Member

Guys,
    I really like the TC Nova and if I could get rid of the noise levels I would be a happy camper and never switch. I've tried different power supplies and more than one Nova and they've all been noisy. Noisy when the band plays - no. Noisy for recording and home use - oh yeah. When I plug it in without even turning it on it's noisier than any of my other pedals, including my fuzzes and Line 6 DL-4.

I'm going to try out the Boss and Electro Harmonix and see if they'll get me close enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.