Best Pups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Texas_Blues, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

What are the best pick-ups for a SRV rhythm tone in the Mid/Neck and a Nice Jazzy tone in the neck and a Tele tone in the bridge? Im looking at the Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots, are there other ones like this that are better?

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

I really like my Stephens Design Texas Mojos. WWW.SDPICKUPS.COM . For your SRV MID/Neck. However, the bridge PU in that set really doesn't have that Tele "Bite". I like it (No Icepick). But I would contact Dave and let him know what you are looking for, what kind of gear your using and your style of music and see if he could wind something custom for you. He seems eager to please.

Fralins/Lollars are supposed to be great as well. However, I do not have any experience to support that. Only their reputation :)

Good luck :)

Matt

3. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I don't know that I would go with "best," but my favorite pickups for what you desrcibe would be Rio Grandes w/ a Muy Grande in the bridge and a Vintage Tallboy in the neck. For me there is a warmth in the Rio's that I love. That said, I've never played a tele w/ Fralins and I've heard nothing but great things about them.

4. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Im putting these pups in a 06 MIM Fender Strat.

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I don't believe anyone should chase another's tone, SRV or otherwise. bad idea.

That said, there are several basic fallacies in what you seek. Anything you do will be a compromise.

First of all, a Strat bridge pickup can NEVER sound like a Tele bridge pickup because it's not mounted in a Tele bridge.

It is a fallacy when people say T-type guitars with plate bridges that are not stamped ferrous metal can sound like a Tele with a vintage bridge, be it new issue or really vintage. Strats can never sound like a Tele bridge pickup. Too many differences.

More to the point, if you want a guitar that sounds like a Tele in the bridge, the bridge has to look like this -

[​IMG]

The bridge on a Tele has a great deal to do with the twang and bite. The pup has to be microphonic to an extent so excessive potting is a no-no.

I know you're looking for a compromise but if you want real Tele bite what you need is a Tele. With the bridge pictured above. esp if it looks like this -

[​IMG]

I will say you will get closer to everything you seek if you have a set of weak, A3 Strat pickups, with a steel base plate on the bridge pickup. The SRV sound was more dependent on SRV himself than any pickups. He had pretty weak pickups in his guitars, or so I've read. But even if he didn't, Any good Strat neck pickup will get you close. Amps and playing technique will get you closer than any set of pickups.

I know, this isn't the answer you sought, but it's my opinion, and it's probably worth what you paid for it. :)

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A Fralin Steel Pole gets you a bit closer to Tele bridge sounds, IMO...

7. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

A bit, but if you ever want a decent 2 and 4 quack, a steel pole won't help.

8. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

ewwwww steel pole pickups....... Harmonic design makes a bridge pup for strats that sounds like a tele, i believe its called the STP. Of course, with the strat bridge, you could only hope to get in the same ballpark as a tele sound wise. From what I've heard, the STP is the closest pickup you'll find.

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That was not my experience, when I used them.

10. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Duncan Antiquity Custom bridge pickup with a Fralin bassplate installed will get you close.....might even prefer it to your Tele bridge pickup.

11. 3Tone

3Tone Member

Try the Seymour Duncan SSL-1 neck/middle (or better yet the Antiquity II Surfers if you can spend the extra bucks) for a great vintagey neck/middle sound and put a SD Twangbanger in the bridge. The Twangbanger was designed to generate the classic Tele sound from the Strat bridge pickup. The Vintage Hots will get you close, especially if you get the bridge pickup with a base plate on it. The base plate will give it more twang.

12. MuleHead

MuleHead Member

+1
    I have a Steel Pole Bridge and Real '54's Mid/Neck -- very cool combination. With a blender pot, i can get great Tele sounds (Bridge/Neck) and awesome texas blues tones.

Fralins are tough to top...

13. go7

go7 Member

Email Wolfe at Wolfetone and tell him what you want.If it can be done he is the man to do it.

14. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Which one would suit me better for what I asked? The Suhr 60's or 54's?

15. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I don't think anyone could answer your question better than yourself. In my experience with Strat pickups, each builder seems to have their own flavor of Strat tone....so I think you'll have to try a bunch and decide for yourself which ones (or combinations thereof) are "best".