Best quality low-cost electric w/ a Floyd Rose

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in the market for a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar, but I'm not sure what I want. I used to own a Squier Stagemaster and it was decent for a cheapie, but I'm looking for something a little better overall and probably 2 humbuckers, possibly with a split coil. Looking around $500 range used and on my short list to check out are:

PRS SE Custom 24 FR
LTD MH-203
EVH Wolfgang Standard

Any other suggestions on what's a good budget FR-equipped guitar?

Kdawg1966

I've been impressed with the Fender Player Series. They play very well and I think the pickups are nice as well. I think they come in HH, maybe not though. Mine is HSS.

FWIW, I played a Wolfgang Standard at GC and was quite impressed with it as well. I think if you spent the time making sure it was set up well you'd be tickled with one. Let us know what you find.

Bonesaw

My main is a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd. It is an awesome instrument, and is the only one on your list that has the Floyd Rose 1000, which is a step up from the specials on your other two options, but it is the most expensive option you have listed. Also it has some of the best coil split tones I have ever heard. I was shocked how strat-like it sounded when I first got it.

That said I don't really think you can go wrong with any of those options. The Wolfgang would be a no-go for me on account of the lack of a route though. But I'm sure it's a fine instrument.

Last edited:

Yamaha 350

Schecter. Banshee.

ebOuITN.png

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't owned any of the 3 you listed but my first choice of those would be the PRS SE. The Korean SE's have a great reputation. Others I would consider, an older Japanese Ibanez. Like an RG550 or 570, even a Roadstar if it's an 86 with the Edge trem. I have an 86 Roadstar that is killer, paid around $400 for it. Recently, there was a 99 RG570 on my local CL for $400. If you bump your budget closer to $600, you could get a gently used, Mexico made Charvel San Dimas or SoCal. Those are great values at $600-$650.

Hammers and chords

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of great options in this price-point for used guitars. As others have said, an Ibanez is a great option - just keep in mind that most of their guitars won't have an official "Floyd Rose" (or special) but the Ibanez variety. A used JS100 would be cool (Satriani) or RG model (Premium). The EVH guitars are nice - I've had two and if you like the unfinished neck feel they are solid.

You could get lucky and find a used Carvin with a Floyd and it will feature an OFR instead of licensed.

Also, check out the Adrian Smith Jackson - brand new they are in your price range.

Jul20_LNU_Jackson_AdrianSmith_WEB.jpg

monty

Go with the Wolfgang if you dont mind the Floyd Special. They do the job but durability can be a issue.
I coil split the ones in my Special and they sound good.
The PRS is good too.

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
My main is a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd. It is an awesome instrument, and is the only one on your list that has the Floyd Rose 1000, which is a step up from the specials on your other two options, but it is the most expensive option you have listed. Also it has some of the best coil split tones I have ever heard. I was shocked how strat-like it sounded when I first got it.

That said I don't really think you can go wrong with any of those options. The Wolfgang would be a no-go for me on account of the lack of a route though. But I'm sure it's a fine instrument.

Agree on this rec - I'll also throw out the PRS SE Torero (my son has one) also has the 1000 and neck through construction - really a great floyd guitar. Only issue is it does not have split coils - and I replaced the EMG 81/85 with the EMG 57/66 set and it sounds great. Used in the $500 range as they had been discontinued but when made were one of the most expensive SEs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom