Best Rat style Distortion Pedal?

Levi Gonzalez

I want 1 rat style pedal that can nail the Rat classic tones. I'm leaning towards the Little Bear Rat Attack pedal as it has some switches and it sounds pretty spot on + some variation.

What do you suggest for a under-$100-pedal that can nail the Rat thing?

Try a RAT, Turbo RAT, plenty to be had under $100, why get a copycat when you can have the original?

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 3.20.57 PM.png

daizee

I haven't tried many RAT circuits, but for $100 the domestically produced (if you're "here" in the USA) JHS 3-Series distortion does two modes and I dig it.

Bluedano1

I go cheap, and I'm a Biyang fan, so I use this ' Baby Boom ' series Max Distortion/$35

It sounds good to me!- I'm mainly a lower Gain R&R guy ( but I usually have an OD ON, already), but I will kick on this 'Rat' when I want a stronger Rock sound with real distortion and sustain

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220419-182534_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-182534_Photos.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9

Levi Gonzalez

I have a pile of 80’s Rats, they’re all outstanding. I‘m not a fan of the current Rat…I’d highly recommend the Joyo Splinter on a budget, it’s very good and cheap.
interesting. never heard of this pedal but looks solid. especially for $37 + my 10% off Amazon coupon i need to use

Seems like you have a lot of experience with rat pedals. The current Rat 2 is ok...does 1 sound pretty good but that's about it.

The Joyo looks like it offers a few more tonal switches ...

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
interesting. never heard of this pedal but looks solid. especially for $37 + my 10% off Amazon coupon i need to use

Seems like you have a lot of experience with rat pedals. The current Rat 2 is ok...does 1 sound pretty good but that's about it.

The Joyo looks like it offers a few more tonal switches ...
I think the Joyo sounds better than the current Rat and you do get the added options, really a no brainer for the price.

Been looking at a few options on this lately and just come across some offerings from Drunk Beaver Pedals out of Poland that look very interesting, the BAT Cold War or Heavy BAT in particular. Perhaps a better option if you are looking at a multi-voiced RAT style pedal such as the JHS PackRat or Tru-fi R*T Pack.

Alabamarama

The Greer take on the Rat circuit (Gorilla Warfare) is top notch. It's a Rat with more every thing, classic Rock and Roll vibe.

I have some others listed,

JAM Rattler (LM308)
Thorpy FX Warthog
'81 Inventions DRV#3
SUF Skinner Box (LM308)
W.A. Iron Horse V2 (LM308)
Mooer Black Secret (LM308 I think)

I'm sure there are many many more. I'm leaning toward the Rattler or one of the Drunken Beaver offerings.

morganjj

I just got done building the Aion clone.

I don't think it ended up being cheaper than a budget Rat-clone, or even better. Was a fun, easy build though even for someone without too many miles under their belt. Gets you an eq knob and some switchable diodes for a pretty good range of Ratty sounds.

Certainly don't feel the need for any more Rats in my life now, and it was a fun project.

Neonborja

I have the Little Bear R.Attack and is as good as any current RAT. An original is not much more expensive but I didn't know if a would prefer a rat2, turbo or dirty.

If you want different takes on the circuit and a box that looks like -more or less- like the classic one it's the way to go.

Top Bottom