Best Re-Cap Job you ever seen...or NOT seen

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by trdlasvegas, Jun 9, 2008.

1. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

One of my tech's has been bragging about what a great job he does re-caping Vintage Fender Amps. We finally got a customer who was willing to pay for the extra effort. Here's the chassis, see what you think. I'll post more pictures after you guys figure out how he does it.

-Tony

[​IMG]

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Looks like he houses some of those new overpriced F+t's under the old cardboard,nice touch.That solder joint on the brass ground plate looks kinda suspect to me:worried

3. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

Whats it look like under the doghouse?

4. ATL Strat

ATL Strat Silver Supporting Member

That looks really nice. If you ever sell it, make sure you tell the buyer that the caps have been worked on so he/she doesn't rip them out and replace them. Better yet, don't ever sell it.

5. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

That board still looks like it has all the original components in it. If any cap job has been performed on that particular amp then the guy who did it must have a reservoir of old caps to use specifically for that instance.

6. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I keep thinking that is new made to look old
    unless other work has been done.

All the wire edges are frayed like the new stuff
    you get as opposed to the old coated wire.

All the wires are clean and new looking
    not dirty like most vintage amps I've been in.

The heater wires look way too fresh.

The tip/switch angle on the jacks look too
    large.

The ceramics have that cracked look to them
    on the seams where the coatings and metal
    comes together on the leads.

Some of the leads look too short.

It would be interesting to see what the other stuff in the amp
    look slike, the pots, dog house transformers etc.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

You can see where the paper has been pryed up on the electrolytics, they've been restuffed with modern caps.

I know there are guys that are anal about this kind of thing but to me it's a little silly, no offense.

8. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

No guys we have confirmed it, this is an original 1966 Fender Super Reverb. Here's a couple more pics of the cap job:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I don't know about other guys,but If i had a recap job done,I'd want to know it's actually been done,not stealthily hidden.I would also need to know what kind of caps were used.However crafty this guy is,it's just plain silly to stuff new caps inside the old paper tubes.IMHO.
    Unless it is intended to be a disguise to try and sell this amp as untouched,and then that's just plain dishonest.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

You can see where the doghouse caps were snipped off and reinserted. So much for authenticity.

11. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

That and the ground strap solder joint i mentioned earlier make me wonder if this camo-cap job took the teck's attention away from the basics:eek:

12. LarryN

LarryN Member

OK, you guys. It's a common practice to stuff new electrolytics into old housings to preserve the vintage appearance. Nobody's trying to fool anyone. Anyone with capacitor knowledge knows that electrolytics don't have a long shelf life. I've seen many old Fenders look this clean inside. There doesn't seem to be anything suspicious going on here.

13. doctorx

doctorx Member

Ok Larry, each to his own. It's a good thing no fooling is going on because I and others in this thread have pointed out how obvious the replacements have been made, and possible flaws in the process.

I'm a player, not a collector. I have numerous vintage Fenders that have all been recapped. I just care whether the amp sounds good or not.

This play acting with new caps disguised as old I don't understand. We can still tell it was done. Is it supposed to increase the value of the amp? What brand of caps were used, I wonder? What ever would fit inside the old caps? Not my idea of a good time. I know Spragues wouldn't fit inside those doghouse caps.

I have heard of guys stuffing new caps inside an old metal cap can but that's different because a lot of those values are not available anymore.

I'm sure the amp sounds fine.

14. Structo

Structo Member

I guess I don't understand why a tech would do this unless it is to fool someone.
    You don't normally see the guts of an amp so why the camoflage?
    I'd much rather see a clean cap job with new caps.
    New electrolytics are much smaller in size than the vintage ones.
    As long as they were replaced with quality filter caps, I just don't get trying to make it look like it hasn't been touched.
    What is the point unless it is to fool somebody into thinking it hasn't been touched for collector purposes.

15. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

The pictures are amusing, but I wouldn't classify it as the Best Re-Cap job. I don't see anything particularly better than any other re-cap job. Just that it was all stuffed back into the old cap cases, which I have seen many times.

16. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I always love trying to see the inside of my amp right in the middle of playing.
    Just to make sure it looks just like it did 45 years ago.

LOL, just kidding, I say if it sounds good, play it!

17. JJman

JJman Member

Making new caps look old is kinda like making a new guitar look old by damaging the finish. At least to me. Some people feel better if their new toys look old.

18. LarryN

LarryN Member

It's just pure nostalgia. Human nature! People like it. The first time I heard of the practice, it made sense to me, since vintage lovers are partially that way for nostalgia. They have that view in their minds eye and that's the way they want it to look. There is no issue here. Anyone foolish enough to try to pass that off as original would be wasting their time. People who are serious about amps and other vintage gear are pretty smart and observant. Until this thread, I've never seen it raised as an issue. If you like the look of new caps, then let those who enjoy the vintage look be.

19. LarryN

LarryN Member

Bingo! Wish I could've made the point so clear and simple. Or make their old toys continue to look old.

20. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Sorry I just don't buy it, that this is a confirmed 1966 amp. There is way
    too much shine in the hardware and not enough ware or burn in
    on the other components.

As long as you are happy that is all that really matters.