Best relic artist for Sunburst finish

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Mar 29, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Is there any relic artist who is particularly famous for his Sunburst relic finishes on Strats? Just like Mark Jenny who's famed for his Butterscotch Blonde Tele relic finishes.

If there's none, who do you recommend?

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm sure Mark Jenny has done his share of bursts and done them well. A good guitar painter, is a good guitar painter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but your question is a little like asking who is the best guitar player in the key of "G?"

Good luck in your search.

3. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Actually, if one is good at doing say, an Olympic White finish, one may not necessarily perform as well on 3-tone sunburst finishes.

I am considering Mark Jenny, who's excellent, btw, but I'm also trying to find out if there are other relic artists who are famous particularly for their Sunburst relic works.

4. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

depending on how much you would like to spend there is this one on ebay that I have been looking at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Custom-Shop-Stratocaster-body-HEAVY-RELIC-3TS_W0QQitemZ260223254865QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I feel your pain I have been combing the internet myself researching this very topic. The fender custom shop does great work (some of the time). As stated above I have seen Mark Jenny do a great job on solid colors but have not seen his sunburst work first hand. I would recommend you email mark and ask him you some images from his sunbursts (he will). Also, rocketfire guitars will make you what ever you want for a very reasonable price. or..... you could go to eddievegas.com and get the real thing.

Hope that this helps!

5. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

This is Nick at Rocketfire, I'll be finished with a Sunburst S-60's in the next few days. I had a customer switch from a Sunburst to Sonic Blue so this one's going to be up for grabs. I think it's one of my better 3 tones. Keep an eye open if you're interested.
    thanks!
    Nick

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I my self have seen Mark Jenny's 3TSB firsthand. It is awesome. It is the best 60's repro that I have seen firsthand. He is resonably priced as well.

7. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Cant go wrong with Rocketfire!!!! I love mine and Nick does amazing work!

Also, Mark is a great builder/painter!!! And a super nice guy!

8. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member