Best replacement bridge for EBMM Axis.

Neon Trotsky

I recently bought a mid 90’s EBMM Axis, dates to right around the time after Ed left.

At some point looks like some chuckle head replaced the original EBMM branded Floyd Rose with an OFR unit. It’s a nice piece, but the d@mn body cavity isn’t big enough and the thing sits too high on the body at a steep angle.

Also looks like this guy needs a Floyd with a beveled edge at the fulcrum points on the body and the OFR doesn’t have that so using the bar actually makes the bridge dig into the finish! There just aren’t enough facepalms.

Looks to me from some cursory research like the EBMM licensed Floyd this would of come stock with was a Gotoh GE1996T unit. Does this seem right? If I buy one of these would it just drop right in and operate as intended?

I guess I could route the body cavity a little bigger to make the OFR unit work, but I don’t really wanna do that. Any help/recommendations here would be much appreciated!

danhops

The Gotoh should drop right in. BTW, I have a spare MM Trem that I added a push in bar. Feel free to shoot me a PM if that may interest you as far as giving the guitar a more “stock” look.

Blue Lizard

Yep, should be good to go with the Gotoh 1996. I prefer these (they were MM stamped Gotohs on the original Axis) to the EBMM own ones that they changed to in more recent years.

Neon Trotsky

The Gotoh should drop right in. BTW, I have a spare MM Trem that I added a push in bar. Feel free to shoot me a PM if that may interest you as far as giving the guitar a more “stock” look.
Thanks man! Your inbox is full tho lol.

Neon Trotsky

Yep, should be good to go with the Gotoh 1996. I prefer these (they were MM stamped Gotohs on the original Axis) to the EBMM own ones that they changed to in more recent years.
Thanks, good to know. Yes I read somewhere that the Axis models pre-2011 came with the Gotoh manufactured bridge, then they started making their own.

Neon Trotsky

Post a pic of your bridge, straight down from the top & from the side level with the body. This is to see what the last guy did. Get one at a slight angle looking down into the front of the cavity to have a look at the posts.

Nah, the Ibby Edge is the best.;)
As soon as I get off of work and get back home I will do that.

s2y

Wouldn't a shim in the neck allow the action to be a little better?

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
The Edge is made by Gotoh.

[QUOTE="superstratjunky, post: 31418806, member: 164103"
Nah, the Ibby Edge is the best.;)
[/QUOTE]

syzygy

I recently bought a mid 90’s EBMM Axis, dates to right around the time after Ed left.

At some point looks like some chuckle head replaced the original EBMM branded Floyd Rose with an OFR unit. It’s a nice piece, but the d@mn body cavity isn’t big enough and the thing sits too high on the body at a steep angle.

Also looks like this guy needs a Floyd with a beveled edge at the fulcrum points on the body and the OFR doesn’t have that so using the bar actually makes the bridge dig into the finish! There just aren’t enough facepalms.

Looks to me from some cursory research like the EBMM licensed Floyd this would of come stock with was a Gotoh GE1996T unit. Does this seem right? If I buy one of these would it just drop right in and operate as intended?

I guess I could route the body cavity a little bigger to make the OFR unit work, but I don’t really wanna do that. Any help/recommendations here would be much appreciated!
90s Axis have a Gotoh GE1988t, like on the EBMM EVH, on which the bridge base plate is slightly smaller in width dimension, 1-2mm difference, compared to the 1996t.

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Is that the only difference between the two? Is the stud spacing still the same?

90s Axis have a Gotoh GE1988t, like on the EBMM EVH, on which the bridge base plate is slightly smaller in width dimension, 1-2mm difference, compared to the 1996t.

Gclef

It's amazing the minutiae that different guys know.

I used to be that way with air cooled vws.
I could tell you when options and specs changed, correct colors, midyear changes, etc.

Now? I am lucky if I can guess the year.

Jett

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a 90s Axis and when I purchased it, it had both the original bridge and an FU-Tone bridge. Currently I have the FU-Tone mounted and I like it and there are no mounting issues or issues setting it up properly.

Trending Topics