Best replacement speaker for SF Champ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DT7, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DT7

DT7 Member

Looking for sweet cleans...nice overdrive a bonus. How does it sound at 4 ohms for the speaker instead of 3.2? Anybody have experience with this issue?

2. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

4 should work just fine.

I have a Weber Sig 8 in mine; my dad has an 8A125 or variation of that...large price difference but his sounds amazing. Fills out the amp much better and more articulate. The Sig is still an upgrade from the original however.

3. cugel

cugel Member

i did the ceramic weber that has the huge magnet. it fits and does cleans and crunch well and never farts out no matter what you throw at it. 4ohm is ok

4. wyatt

wyatt Member

My favorite was the one Eminence used to make, but Weber and others started selling 8" speakers for half the price and the Eminence went out of production sometime ago.

5. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I have tried Weber Sig 8's both in ceramic and AlNiCo, Jensen Mod 8 and settled on the WGS. It is louder and sweeter than the others. You'd swear it was a 10".

6. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I have one of the old Eminence ceramic speakers in a Champ and a Weber 8A100T in a Vibro-Champ. The Weber has sweeter cleans. I picked the A100T (late 50s R cone) over the A125 because it has slightly more midrange. It is the perfect match for my taste. It is really sweet.