Best replacement vibrato tailpeices for American Standard Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by echo unit, Dec 10, 2005.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I have used the Wilkinson VS100 before and find that it is very smooth and I love the feel of the bar on it and i am considering buying another one for my new strat but I am wondering if there are better alternatives these days and would love if some folks here would give their opinions and maybe some links to the companys that make these vibrato bridges.

Thanks for your time and help!

2. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

echo unit,

For years now I've used a Wilkinson/Gotoh "Vintage" Strat style trem, and it's worked and sounded great! I had it set so it comes back flush with the body of the Strat. It pivots very smoothly, and stays in tune with Sperzels and an Earvana Nut. It was recommended to me by James Tyler of Tyler Guitars, and I am glad I got one!

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Another Wilkinson fan here. I have one on each of my 3 strats. One vintage (6 post) and two with the 2 posts. They work perfectly, have a great hand feel, and by reputation are very reliable. Very affordable also.

jon

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

+1 here

6. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

+2 for Callaham - you can't beat their quality authentic reproduced parts.

7. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

I like the Callaham stuff too, but you guys seem to missing a key point: Callaham does not make American Series Parts

So, I guess the Wilkinson is your best bet.

8. echo unit

echo unit Member

Also, how do you get the smoothest operation out of Fender American Standard tremelo units?

How may springs is best to use and in what positions in the back?

As well, is there a way to get the bar so that it will be more presision like a Wilkinson is? My bar on my strat kind of jiggles back and forth and doesn't seem to fit snug in there. It screws in but is kind of loose...what is the fix for this?

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

To tighten up your floppy whammy :eek: use plumber's tape. It's teflon tape you can get for about $.99 at any hardware store. Works like a charm.

A

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The wilkinson is the smoothest trem out there. I'm only using six screw trems for a long time. I still have a two post Wilky if anyone needs one cheap. It's in great shape.

11. echo unit

echo unit Member

With the standard Fender Vibrato tailpeice/bar that comes with my American Standard Stratocaster, I am always breaking strings. They break off all the time at the bridge, not the machine head!

Thing is, I only use the vibrato bar for very slight vibrato. I don't push down on the bar more than a quarter tone. I am very gentle.

Is there a bridge or something that will make the strings not break or is the Wilkinson VS100N going to solve this problem if I get one? If not, is there something for the Wilkinson that makes it better with string breakage or is this not a problem?

Also, does the wilkinson require any modification to the guitar or do the posts and tailpeice just drop right into an American Standard Stratocaster?

Thanks for the continued advice!

12. theelectic

theelectic Guest

They make a halfway conversion kit for American Standards now, but it requires a bunch of other mods for optimal playability - not something DIY.

As for breaking strings at the bridge - I would double check the string break angle, as well as checking for sharp edges and/or burrs. I had a mid '90s AS and never had problems with the trem, and I was pretty aggressive with it.

13. TMoran

TMoran Member

HOLA...

Have you had any experience with the Trem block by Callahan?? Sounds
    pricey, but is claimed to really bump up one's tone.

Thanks!!

TMoran

14. echo unit

echo unit Member

Will the new Hipshot Flat Plate Strat tremelo be an improvement over the American Deluxe trem that is in my Strat Plus?

Does the Hipshot require any modification to the guitar and are the pivot screws the same width apart as the existing Fender Deluxe Trem ones?

How many springs are the correct number to use with .46-.010 gauge strings?

If using 3 springs,

Should the springs run straight to the spring claw connecting to claws 1, 3 and 6 or should they be angled toward the center of the spring claw connecting to claws 2, 3 and 4? I always see pictures of the backside of Fender guitars with the springs angled toward the center three spring claws instead of just connecting them parallel to each other.

What is the differnece? Why do they do this as opposed to just connecting the three springs parallel to each other from holes 1, 3, 6 to claws 1, 3, 6?

15. echo unit

echo unit Member

16. amper

amper Member

Not an entire assembly, but DeTemple has some nice bridge parts that fit the Am. Std.

17. TMoran

TMoran Member

Hallo...

seems like a LOTTA folks like the Wilkinson Trem.. my question here is,
    how big a deal is it to retrofit one onto to a Strat in place of the
    Standard sucky "vintage" trem... does one have to dig into the body
    at all...? Is it something best done by a Pro repairperson?? and finnally..
    do they stay in TUNE better than the Stock Fender Trem.???
    ( which basically BITES the BIG one in terms of tuning stability in
    my book..)

Thanks for your INput!!!!

18. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I would use the Wilkinson VSVG which is a direct replacement for the six-hole vintage trem. It resolves many of the inherent issues in that type of trem. Many will disagree, but a vintage style trem just sounds better to my ears.

19. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

One more thing. I think trems get a bad rap for tuning problems sometimes. I find that the nut is usually the culprit.