Best resource for reasonably priced wood pickguards/p'up rings/truss covers/etc...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by XXTwighlight, Mar 2, 2015.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

There are a lot of manufacturers out there (ebay/etc.), but I'm just not sure about quality (flaws/etc.).
    I'm curious if anyone knows a reputable manufacturer who is reasonably priced....and can do custom work (template).
    I seek rosewood, but considering other woods.
    I'm also considering using a pre-cut standard size such as a Gibson 335 model (which is close to mine) and using a dremel to shape it to my custom guitars shape.
    Pickguards/p'up hum rings/truss covers/etc.

Thanx
    - Robert

2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I've been getting stuff from Philadelphia Luthier Tools lately.
    Not the cheapest but they have a good selection of made in USA parts for 5-10% more than your typical import pieces.
    I got a vintage tele bridge, pickup covers and mount rings and some cover/trim plates and have been very impressed with them.
    All the edges are trimmed flat and clean, playing is top notch and so far, everything fits perfectly.
    (No affiliation. Just a customer.)

[​IMG]

3. Kashmir Oceania

Kashmir Oceania Supporting Member

If you have a bit of woodworking skills you can probably make it yourself. That's what I do, it saves money and I know the final product is going to be quality. If you don't have access to machinery (Router or laser-cutter) the easiest thing to do is print out a 1:1 template, use some light spray adhesive to glue it to the piece of veneer you want to use, cut it out with a coping saw, and finish the shaping with scrapers and sand paper. Finally hit the wood with a few coats of tru-oil and you've got a custom made pickguard :aok

4. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

Thanx

I was considering doing them myself....except for the P'up rings which seem more difficult. I can always buy the rings, but I be a bit worried about the tone(color) matching properly. I'll see I guess.
    I own a scroll saw, dremel, but no router. I'm sure beveling a small pickguard and truss cover isn't too hard.
    But where to get the wood? I know I can get it online, but I'd rather get it local. I believe my local Jaeger Lumber has hardwoods. (I'm in northern NJ, morris county)