Best reverb pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thorazine Dream, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Thorazine Dream

Thorazine Dream Supporting Member

I currently own a Songworks Little Lanilei reverb pedal. While it sounds quite good for a pedal, the effect is very subtle.

Can any one recommend a stronger reverb pedal that works well in front of an amp or in an effects loop

(I've also owned a EH Holy Grail and wasn't my cup of tea).

Thanks

2. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

I own both pedals. Agree with you on both too.

By far, my favorite reverb pedal is the BOSS RV-2.
    Note: "NOT" 3, 4, 5, etc....

Downside of the RV-2: no longer made and needs a 9v supply... no battery.

3. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

The Guyatone was just reviewed in Vintage Guitar Magazine and had rave reviews.

It is a tube based unit that is in a rather substantial case (looks like a little Marshall head) but it supposedly rocks.

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I hear EBS has a nice reverb pedal as well.

Richard

5. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Yep, EBS Dynaverb = EXCELLENT !!

6. CHyde

CHyde Member

I tried the EBS Dynaverb last week & it kicks major ass.

7. alberob

alberob Member

I'm very pleased with my Digitech Digiverb.:cool:

8. cubba65

cubba65 Member

I emailed Tris (owner of Songworks) about the same thing: the effect being subtle and he said it is a simple resistor change to let more of the effect bleed thru.

I looked at the mod and it is really simple.... just haven't gotten to it yet!

Email, he's a cool dude.

9. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

By far, my favorite reverb pedal is the BOSS RV-2.
    Note: "NOT" 3, 4, 5, etc....

double ditto.

in my opinion no one makes a pedal 'verb worth a ****. period. no one has truly stepped up to the plate yet. i've also tried the digitech (it went back to the store instantly), holy grail (wish it had a shorter decay, like it with tweeds more than blackfaces). i've heard mixed reports about the the dynaverb (mostly reliability issues).

the old rv2 is not bad but hard to find. i use one every night. like all these type things they sound much better in a parallel loop; wish i had one in my dr! it does not take a battery. the 3's and 5's blow big ugly chunks, stay away. otoh i've got a 3 i'll sell cheap.....

10. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

What I'm gonna do is hunt down an old Lexicon LPX-1. It's a one-space, 1/2 width rack unit, so it's not terribly big. I haven't decided whether I'm going to mount it to my pedalboard and maybe put a couple of pedals on top of it, or if I'm going to carry it seperately and just place it on top of my amp when I'm playing. Anyway, from what I hear, the reverb is AMAZING (even better than the newer generation MPX line), and it's gonna be far more versitile than any pedal currently made. The controls are SIMPLE, and you don't have to use MIDI at all unless you really want to. The good thing about it is that it has a jack for a latching footswitch that will engage/defeat the unit, so if you put it on top of your amp (or in your rack if you have one), you'll only be taking up a minimum of 1.5" x 3.5" on your pedalboard with the footswitch. I think this will work out a hell of a lot better than any pedal currently on the market. My opinion, of course.

11. BigRalphN

BigRalphN Member

I use the spring setting on an EH Holy Grail. It is quite realistic and works well for what I do. It can be subtle as well, but will crank a little. The only complaint I have is that it can also get noisey at or near its full setting.

I should also note that the Holy Grail is best used with the power suply that it comes with. Most of the noise is elimanatesd that way and it sounds better. it really doesnt do well on my Godlyke so I just use the one it came with.

12. morgan

morgan Guest

I had the same problem with the godlyke and the holy grail. Except it didn't even like being in a chain of pedals that used the godlyke, even if the grail was using it's own supply. I got some kind of wierd whine out of it.

I think I'm gonna try the EBS. What kind of reliability issues?

13. Cotton

Cotton Gold Supporting Member

I just put a Holy Grail on my board. I'm powering it with a Juicebox 2 from TomK here at the Gear Page. The Juicebox 2 is doing fine with no noise added to the HG. The HG is a great verb. At $75 its not a perfect verb, but its fine for most rock country and blues...

Cotton

14. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Check out the upgrade to the LXP units that are done by Audio Upgrades. Call the guy and ask him what he does when he upgrades them - he's chatty. I had an LXP-5 but never did have it upgraded so I have no first hand experience. Just a thought.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've just discovered this forum (GREAT forum, I like everything about it so far!) in conjunction with wanting to research reverb pedals out there. I've been playing for 23 years, but have always used my amps' reverbs....I use reverb sparingly, and often turn it off, but I like having it there.

But I just bought a Prosonic head, with no reverb. I may not NEED it but I did want it, and just always assumed reverb pedals worked fine (some good, some not-so-good, get-what-you-pay-for, with a little care can find a decent one) like any other pedal.

I was really thrown by comments both here, on HC User Reviews, and other forums. Seems except for a slight few, most experienced users feel there just is NO good reverb pedal out there, digital OR analogue. Seems to vary as to what the "best of a bad situation" pedals are...many feel Boss RV-2, many feel Holy Grail ( I saw no mention of Holier Grail though...which sounded more promising. Only a couple reviews on HC, but favorible).

This just amazed me, that there is not one that everyong can agree is at least usable.

I just noticed in searching the net, that T-Rex claims they are coming out with a reverb pedal in "early 2006". I think I am going to wait then on my purchase (my other solutions may make it unecessary... I was thinking of running out of my H2O pedals which have two outs, into my Prosonic, and also into one of my other amps that have reverb and using it as a reverb...)

I never owned a T-Rex, and haven't yet read up on them. I don't know if they are considered expensive or middle-priced, (know they aren't cheap) etc.

Just thought I would mention it.

16. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

The Holy Grail is a great little pedal.

17. stevieray

stevieray Member

I'm finding a huge array of great reverbs in the Yamaha Magicstomp. This pedal is filling a lot of gaps in my pedalboard and was an AMAZING deal!!!

18. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

You know the Magic stomp is a pretty good deal. I did not get one because I was not happy with the last multi effects pedal I had and I had read some less than stellar reveiws of the MS. I spent a bunch of money on a fancy delay and some other pedals and my band mate brings in a MS that he picked up for $80.00 and it sounds really good. It's distortions are not the best but the delay, reverb and trem stuff is fantastic sounding to me.

I fell for the hype.

19. stevieray

stevieray Member

Yeah, I don't use any of the amp sims or distortion. But, I do use the verbs, pitch shifting, awesome delays, trem, dynamic filters, compression, chorus, flanging, and on, and on... There's a LOT to get excited over in this little box. Sure, it has it's weaknesses. But, it has a ton of strengths, covers a lot of ground, and fills in a lot of holes for special things so I can keep my board down to a semi-managable size.

20. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have a reverbamate which I like a lot. Do a search for reverbamate as I've got a clip of it posted using it through my Point Blank (Blankenship) Tweed Deluxe.