Best RHYTHM drive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rogerramjett, Mar 8, 2008.

1. rogerramjett

rogerramjett Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Here's the drive/tone stack setup I have planned (leaving out delays etc.):

Heritage 535 > ??? > ??? > Fulltone OCD (v4) > Keeley Compressor > Divided By 13 JRT 9/15.

I'll be getting my clean tone straight from the amp and my most saturated tone from the OCD. I need 2 drive pedals for the #1 and #2 spots in my stack. They need to be transparent and will be used mostly for straight-up rock RHYTHM. Not 80's rock, not SRV blues, not nu metal - straight-up rock. Think Keith Richards, Angus Young, Matchbox Twenty etc.

LEND ME YOUR WISDOM!!!

I need some bold statements from you guys. Stuff like "______ is DEFINITELY better than _____".

Here are the pedals that I hear being talked about a lot - let's play a game of "Pick Any 2":

Keeley Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Analogman or Keeley TS-9
    (what's the difference?)

Analogman Maxon OD-9

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
    (Somebody told me this doesn't stack well - any truth to that? I also love the fact that you basically get a free boost pedal with this)

Pedalworx Texas Two-Step

Pedalworx Cactus Crunch

Pedalworx Tour Pro Toggle

DB13 Joyride

Timmy
    (where do you even get one???)

Zen Drive
    (tube or solid state?)

Barber LTD (Silver version)

NOC3 Pure Drive

Is there anything out there better than that stuff? The big deal is that I'm using these pedals for rhythm, not lead stuff.

Thanks a million!

2. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I found the Rat to be a great rhythm pedal. With some creative tweaking, you can get OD all the way to psuedo-Fuzz, all in one box.

And if I remember right, Dave Grohl used a Rat during the early Foo Fighter years. Some great rhythm tones there.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

A friend brought a Toadworks Lil' Leo over last week. For the short time I had to try it, I was very impressed. It would be my first choice if I had to play alot of Stones-like rhythm parts.

4. rogerramjett

5. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Box of Rock and Timmy.

6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

NOC3 Firefly

7. rogerramjett

gtrshow - isn't the Box of Rock a pretty saturated pedal?

KeithC - Where can you buy a Firefly? N.O.C.3's website only features the Pure Drive...

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Tim or Timmy
    Menatone King of the Britains (new version)

9. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Timmy, but I would try it behind the OCD with the comp in front of the OCD. As for the second choice on your list, a TS9 or similiar. I'll recommend a Lovekraft Mojodrive as it can get a bigger variety of sounds than a TS9. A Hotcake might also work well with your amp. Could also consider a boost pedal instead of the second drive pedal for rock rhythm. Maybe like this Comp>OCD>Timmy>RC Booster>Amp.

10. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

For Keef I love the menatone working mans blue.

11. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

Personally, I prefer the Vintage RI (got a '91 with original LM308n chip) but I believe Grohl was using a late '80s or early '90s Rat2.

I think there's a picture of him with one in the liner notes of their debut album.

12. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Wow!! Dave Grohl is now benchmark for great tone? I LOVE his drumming and some of his songwriting but in my opinion he's hardly getting tones that are out of reach to any guitar player with a good set of ears.

13. TimH

TimH Member

Not on your list but exactly what you're describing...Keeley BD-2 Phat mod. It is, IMHO, by far the most transparent drive pedal I've had. To my ear, more transparent than an RC booster, more gain on tap too. Pair that with a FDII mosfet (they stack very well) and you've got it all.

14. macca

macca Member

depending on the part, for rhythm, I like a BJF Honey Bee, Timmy or a DAM Drag/n/Fly or Rooster; for what you seem to be going for, the Timmy would be worth trying

I haven't played on yet, but I have heard some good things about the Liquid Sunshine for a Keef-like rhythm work

15. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

16. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I believe the Silver LTD might be on the way out, because of the coming of the LTD2. I heard a clip of the LTD2 on tpngear and it sounded fantastic. So, either of the two would work. The Timmy is a great option also. They are available from time to time on this forum in the gear for sale. That's where I got mine, but it was more $$$. Worth it though - it sounds less like a pedal than anything I have heard, but I'd only use it for lower gain. The LTD has a wider range.

17. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

As a BoR and Firefly owner, allow me my two cents.
    The BoR is NOT overly saturated for three quarters of it's sweep. It cleans up amazingly well, which allows for plenty of range with the guitar volume knob. I also like the Firefly for it's very different voicing (flatter, not as much coloration), both excellent for rhythm work. The Firefly has never been on the NOC3 website. Send Nick an email to see if it's available.

The thing is that your amp is an important component in the compatibility chain. The BoR is bottom heavy and a bit scooped and just doesn't work for some setups.

I also use a regular Zendrive and Blackstone for rhythm work. I think it's less about "the best" pedal, but the ones that work with your signal chain.

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

For what you are looking for I can't imagine NOT having a Timmy in the mix (near the end of the chain from what most are saying). I'm borrowing one from a friend and it's so transparent sometimes I have to look at my amp settings to know if it's really on or not) :D

19. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

+1 on both points. I'll add that the boost side is excellent, either alone or in combination with the gain side. I use it with gain set in the 9:00-11:00 range. It's surprisingly transparent and, as Tweeker indicated, cleans up really well.

20. rogerramjett

Tweeker - thanks for the wisdom. That's definitely a GREAT point.

People seem to be raving about the Blackstone - especially its stack-ability with other pedals...

Right now I would lean towards a Blackstone and Timmy.

Anybody know how long it's gonna be until the Barber LTD 2 is released?