best rhythm OD for tele?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Winklin, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Winklin

Winklin Member

Recently picked up a used Nocaster. Looking for a nice, "always on" OD to give it more of a driven P-90 sound. Been using a Red Snapper with an old SG Jr., which sounds great, but am trying to retire the SG from stage use. Any suggestions on a mild to moderate OD for the tele that will add some girth in the mids without giving up low end or becoming too bright? Thanks.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The Crowther Hot Cake is a perfect match w/ the Nocaster.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Actually I really like the Red Snapper with a TELE. Also a CLARK Gainster or KLON is amazing with a tele.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I've been on that search for a while now. What amp are you using?
    I found the Hotcake almost but not quite perfect. After a while the high end got to me and I gave up on it. (This was the stock, not Bluesberry, model.) With a darker amp I would have loved it. It was awesome for twangin on the lower strings but just too icepick higher up the neck. pretty much the same story for the Red Snapper I had....

Next I tried a BB preamp...too compressed but nice EQ. I still have an AC for higher gain tones. I used an RC for while.....but..

I recently got a Burriss Boostiest and some folks have compared it to a Klon. All I know is its sweet on the clean boost side. Nice and fat and twangy. I like it better than the RC I used to have. I just wish it moved into higher gain sounds. I like lower mid growl instead of high end sizzle and the Boostiest clean side just starts to sizzle the more gain you add. Maybe the Klon would be the answer but too pricey for me.

I still have a TC Jeuarnig Atomic Boy Boost which is VERY fat on the low end. Its useful for some things. I've also used his Gristle King...the Luxury Drive side is great but won't get you into P 90 land and I found it a bit too icepick. The DGTM side is a great mid OD but something I wouldn't leave on all the time.

Bob

5. smilefan

smilefan Member

Sounds like a BJF Honey Bee to me.

6. Winklin

Winklin Member

I'm using a Fender Bassman RI. The SG Jr. with the Snapper is great thru it, but the tele's gonna need a little help. I'm hoping to find something that adds a touch of P-90 growl..... I guess something with a slight hump in the mids. Most TS style pedals seem to lose low end and add a bright edge to the top, so I'm hoping someone can recommend a better choice.
    I've had and sold a Hotcake, a Gainster and a Klon. The Hotcake was too buzzy, the Gainster was slightly too raspy, and I didn't care for the gain structure in the Klon at all (most people seem to use 'em as clean boosts anyway). I already use a BB Preamp for soloing.
    I've been curious about the DGTM, but reviews make it sound more like a lead pedal than rhythm. I really want something on the mild side, with the right grind/articulation ratio so it can be left on, and something that brings some of the P-90 girth back. I'm wondering if the Barber LTD might work, or if it loses too much bottom? Thanks.

7. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Have you tried a Bad Monkey?

8. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I like playing my 52' American Vintage Tele with my ThroBak Overdrive Boost and my 18 watt clone. It gives a nice meaty low end but maintains the spank of a Tele. Here are some clips with the Tele, Overdrive Boost and the 18 watt clone. You can go from pretty high gain tones to a sort of Clapton Yardbirds Tele tone. There are more clips of the Overdrive Boost with a Les Paul on my site. www.throbak.com

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/files/odb_tele_germanium_high_gain.mp3
    http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/files/odb_tele_silicon_high_gain.mp3
    http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/files/odb_tele_germanium_low_gain.mp3

9. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

My ProAnalog Dirt Royale w/cheeze is a great match to my Kinman equipped Tele. Best dirty rhythm tones that I've heard with a pedal. The higher gain tones are really nice too

10. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Klon...makes my '98 Tele bridge pickup sound like a P90...or like my other Tele with P90s!

Seriously, the Klon will do what you ask. I use the Klon when I want FAT, the Timmy when I want CHANNNGGG and both when I want sing.

11. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

I really like the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
    with my 52 Tele RI and Bassman LTD for rhythm.

12. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

The Telecaster is about the only guitar I use anymore,
    and after going thru about every pedal around.....
    IMO, I think the Honey Bee is what you want.
    I was rather hesitant for I'm not a big fan of other BJF pedals,
    and this pedal is rather expensive, but I'm glad I did.
    The Honey Bee also works great with other pedals.

Cheaper way to go.....check out a
    Liquid Sunshine from sub-decay.

Both of these pedals really match well with Telecasters

13. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'd also suggest the BJF Honey Bee or the Red Rooster Booster which is voiced extremely well for the Tele Bridge pickup.

The HB will definitely add girth in the mids and lows. It's the best mild OD I've tried. It will sound fantastic especially if your amp is on the edge of clean and breaking up.

The RRB is like a 3d (somewhat transparent) Boost which will make it sound larger and give a little sparkle. Together they are amazing.

14. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

+1

I have a G and L Asat that can be quite bright in the bridge position, especially with my particular amps (Germino LoVo Lead 55 and Maven Peal RG88).

The Dirt Royale w/Cheeze has a great tone, that is a little dark with chewy mids and amazing feel, you can use it as an "always on" OD and when you want to kick it up for a solo or even just a dirtier rhythm or lead, kick the boost on (which adds more gain and shifts the EQ to cut better) and BAM you're right there.

The pedal also stacks very well, so if you wanted to always leave it on and use other pedals for lead sounds, it'd be no problem what-so-ever, it also gives up the goods when pushed by a clean boost!

Cleans up amazingly well... better than some of my fuzz faces even. Definately be my suggestion for a Tele rhythm/lead do-it all pedal. Has this great smooth tone with agressive, biting edges.

-TJK

15. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

A big +1, my favorite OD by far. You can add a big fat bottom with this pedal that sounds great with a Tele. :AOK
    I'm using mine with a tele and Top Hat Club Royale

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

For an always on CMATMODS Phat Boost is nice.
    Also I use a CMATMODS Tube Slammer and Gaspedal CARB I think the carb would be great as an always on.

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

If you consider my G&L ASAT Classic a tele (I do), maybe this'll help. Klon is first choice, but, as with all drive pedals, it doesn't work on every amp. When it does suit the amp, the Klon does something hard to describe. Klon with a Bruno CT is as good as it gets. Cannot turn that off. For BF, the Klon might work, might not. It doesn't do much for me on the BFDR. That's where the Gainster steps in. I can get it crunchy, but prefer less gain. At about 11:00 on the gain knob you start getting the gritty, grindy kind of sound. That's another tele favorite in my house.

18. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Yes indeed.

19. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I'd stick with the Red Snapper. I have an original 3 knob snapper that sounds amazing with my Esquire. It adds great dirt. Not sure if it's an always on kind of pedal though. For an always on pedal the Tim is by far the best with my teles.

20. velvet touch

velvet touch Member

i use a ocd when i plug my tele into my bassman.