Best rhythm playing electric guitar?

spencer4388

I am in the market for an electric guitar. Can somebody help my out with their opinion on the best rhythm playing electric guitar? Thanks.

Spencer

dave s

Probably a telecaster. It rings with authority and cuts through the mix with a second guitar and keyboards, if that's what you're looking for a rhythm guitar to do.

dave

digthosetubes

Telecasters definitely cut through the mix. They tend to be bright, although the neck pickup is just great for rythm.
Strats are a little more mellow. Mine is also a little more forgiving and easier to sound "good" with than my Teles. The new American Deluxe Strats have noiseless "SCN" pickups and a switch that lets the pickups produce ten different tones, some of which are very mellow, more like the sound of a guitar that uses humbucking pickups, such as Gibsons.

Strats are a very versatile guitar and a good value. Mine is beautifully made and plays and sounds great. Some people criticized the SCN pickups when they first came out. Then word got around about the fact that Bill Lawrence designed the pickups, and there was a lot less criticism. Plus people got to hear them more and many agreed that they were pretty good afterall. These pickups have a lot less noise than many of the Fender style pickups. That's really a plus.

Gibson makes some nice guitars. They tend to cost more and are less eco- friendly. They have a shorter scale that I don't care for. But many people just love Gibsons.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Les Paul's have a 'rhythm' switch position!:cool:

So much depends on what you need and the rest of your rig.

there is no best, it's all personal preference.
Try a bunch of axes out and see what works for you.

digthosetubes

Les Paul's have a 'rhythm' switch position!:cool:

So much depends on what you need and the rest of your rig.
Les Pauls are great guitars. I think I see them more on stage than just about any other guitar. Very desirable. Definitely you want to play some of these and see if you like them.

I guess the best advice is to go somewhere and play as many as you can. The way the guitar feels in your hands -- even before you plug it in is very important. You have to go with your instincts there. Trust them.

swimrunner

if you want to talk about rhythm i think you're obligated to include metal, which usually calls for at least a bridge humbucker

ghoti

There is no "best". There's just what sounds good for what you play.

What rhythm players do you admire, and what do they play? Metallica/James Hetfield makes a pretty good case for an ESP explorer with active pickups. The Byrds and others if you're talking about jangly Rickenbacker (12 string especially). Tele's do it well; as can LP's, semi-hollows, hollows, etc. Korn does rhythm with 7-string Ibanez, Nevermore is fantastic with Schecters, etc.

Trending Topics