Best rig for IEMS 100%

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
All of these:

Here’s what I do with fractal unit. Out 1 goes to FOH. Send out 2 of FM3 to one channel of personal mixer. Ask soundman to send back full band monitor mix preferably without guitar and put that into other channel of mixer. Send mixer output (balanced how you like) to IEM unit.
Also, when I get a monitor mix from the soundguy I tell him to leave the drums out. I can hear our drummer right through the IEMs.
Something I used to do which might work for you is run monitors through an audio path in my AFX3/Helix. So just bring an aux feed in from your FoH console for everything except your guitar and plug your headphones into your modeller. If you play with a cable into your modeller (no wireless) you can just have a custom cable made that attaches a headphone cable up with your patch.
I use IEMs whenever possible and since I sub in with a lot of different bands run into different systems. My solution is to show up with a separate tablet with apps for the Behringer, Mackie and QSC digital mixers that seem to be used on 90% of the gigs I run into (I really need to add the Soundcraft apps, just haven't run into people using those boards lately). On some of them, whomever is running the board can grant you access to only the AUX channel running your monitor feed.

Over time, sound people have come to appreciate it, too. A few years back, a player asking about Wi-Fi passwords was suspicious, but the attitude now is, "Thank God... that's one less person nagging me about their own monitor mix."

My setup like this actually started with the fact that my soundguy at the time was NOT a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, and we couldn't for the life of us, figure out how to get my guitar monitor channel to be pre-fader dynamics/eq, AND, I wanted stereo anyway, so I started doing it with hardware with my GSP1101, and then did it internally with my Helix.

I bring the band mix in on one path, my guitar takes up 2 paths for the main sounds and FOH, and one other path for my IEMs. i just played a room on Saturday, where I should have done this, but I just brought a little combo instead. I probably won't do that next time, as I'm right next to the drummer's ride cymbal
:jo

Now, it's not perfect. The band mix has to be "right", but, you'll hear yourself MUCH better and clearer than you EVER would, with an amp in that situation, especially if you have custom molds like I do.

As far as a special cable for guitar to FM3 and FM3 to earphones, I mean, you could really cheapen out and just take a 1/4" guitar cable and heat shrink wrap it to a 1/4" headphone extension cable and be done. Your earplugs can go into the headphone jack, (assuming you have one,:rotflmao, I keed the Fractal folk).

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Last night was a decent gig. Lucked out with XMAS after party that packed the club. I used FM3 into BAM200 and oversized 1x12 behind me and into FOH and EVZLX wedge in front of me. Truth is I had the BAM200 louder than home (over noon on master) and couldn’t hear ****. Great case of blasting my knee caps probably.
Drummer used wired IEMS, was loud AF (lease of my concerns unfortunately) and was riding his ****ing crash cymbal all night. Looking to replace…
Anyway, I have a PSM300 system that I set for dual mono for myself and female lead. I want to use this at all gigs even when I hire sound.
What to I need for:
Easy transport
Easy hookup (Sound guy would run 2 XLR for vocals? What about my guitar? Trust him to mix in my guitar or is there a better way?
FM3? III? SYN 2 with eclipse? Suhr PT15-IP?

Im a bit frustrated as I know the FOH mix is very good, many compliments but my monitoring is for ****. The EV’s are worse than the DXR10 and if the angle is not right on stage you are ****ed.

I have enough money to justify whatever is required.
Need help, my voice is also shot because of essentially monitoring off the mains.
When I ran my IEM rig it was pretty simple. My AX8 went direct to my audio technica IEM transmitter, and I had a band mix feed go into the other side of the transmitter. I used a behringer air xr16 for the band mix (vocals, bass, drums etc). It has 4 aux outs, so you can dial in how much you want to hear of the other guys. You use an ipad\tablet to make any last minute changes... no sound guy needed.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Seems like a lot of work for something you will probably abandon down the road. Without zero guitar playing joy payoff like, say; buying a synergy rig and flipping it :anon :roll I say this with the utmost self-awareness I can physically muster.

Gearzilla

Silver Supporting Member
Feel free to razz or meme away!
5xpqai.jpg

:)

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
@Baba knows best on this stuff. My playing is wayyyyyyyyyy too iffy to have it slammed against my ear drums :worried

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Seems like a lot of work for something you will probably abandon down the road. Without zero guitar playing joy payoff like, say; buying a synergy rig and flipping it :anon :roll I say this with the utmost self-awareness I can physically muster.

I prefer to use IEMS and that is how I normally roll when I provide sound. But, I'm hiring this guy so I can waltz in 15 minutes before downbeat, grab a beer, setup and go.
So yea, if I want to start using IEMs with other sound people then I need to vet the best/easiest solution.
My bassist brought this "thing", IDK what the heck it is but it was small and he had it mounted to his mic stand? Instead of a wedge the sound guy ran XLR into this thing, but I don't believe it was wireless? I'll have to ask him how he rigged it.
Drummer brings a small mixer and IEMS.
So those two doofuss's are getting personalized monitor mixes while myself and lead singer (who do 99% of the singing) sit around and prepare to suffer through ****** wedges.
Then the drummer proceeds to bash away on that godamn "crash as ride" with no care in the world because he essentially has ear plugs in... **** THIS NOISE!!! (literally).
As I mentioned before, 2022 is the year of the acoustic duo... and I'm cleaning house for live full band as well.

Bach1970

Gold Supporting Member
I have a question for you using IEMs
1. I am thinking about switching our band to IEMs(we have QSC Touchmix) - if we use Aux mono mixes - do you have issues with mono ? I have read that mono mixes sound flat and and mushed together ?
2. How many mixes do you usually use ? We are a 6 piece folk rock band with 4 vocals, 2 fiddles, accordion, guitar,bass and drums - what is the bare minimum ? one for rhytm section, one for vocalists and fiddlers ?

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I have a question for you using IEMs
1. I am thinking about switching our band to IEMs(we have QSC Touchmix) - if we use Aux mono mixes - do you have issues with mono ? I have read that mono mixes sound flat and and mushed together ?
2. How many mixes do you usually use ? We are a 6 piece folk rock band with 4 vocals, 2 fiddles, accordion, guitar,bass and drums - what is the bare minimum ? one for rhytm section, one for vocalists and fiddlers ?
1. To me mono mixes are fine... they're there to keep singers on pitch and everyone in sync. Besides, if your main mix is mono, why should monitors be stereo?
2. Ideally each player has their own mix, or at least each vocalist. If you have a Touchmix 16, I think you're limited to 4 AUXes though... that's 4 mono mixes or 2 stereo mixes.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
1. To me mono mixes are fine... they're there to keep singers on pitch and everyone in sync. Besides, if your main mix is mono, why should monitors be stereo?
2. Ideally each player has their own mix, or at least each vocalist. If you have a Touchmix 16, I think you're limited to 4 AUXes though... that's 4 mono mixes or 2 stereo mixes.

I agree, IEMs are more of a utility, to hear things clearly and quieter than with amps/wedges, they aren't designed to achieve the best personal tone.

Having said that, I have to say, guitar does sound awfully flat in mono, when you're listening with earbuds. I separate my signal and give the house/others mono, and stereo with room reverb for my personal mix.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
I agree, IEMs are more of a utility, to hear things clearly and quieter than with amps/wedges, they aren't designed to achieve the best personal tone.

Having said that, I have to say, guitar does sound awfully flat in mono, when you're listening with earbuds. I separate my signal and give the house/others mono, and stereo with room reverb for my personal mix.

I also add a little reverb to my personal guitar mix. Just sounds more natural.

Alex Kenivel

My bassist brought this "thing", IDK what the heck it is but it was small and he had it mounted to his mic stand? Instead of a wedge the sound guy ran XLR into this thing, but I don't believe it was wireless? I'll have to ask him how he rigged it.
It was probably something along the lines of what I was using:

rolls-pm351-channel-personal-monitor_1_268bf0e183cd4324923db963bcc79b82.jpg

There are different models with different I/O and Behringer makes some similar stuff I think. I would have one of these connected to the PSM300 all connected to my heavy duty hybrid drum mount/mic stand.

It ended up looking pretty busy so I couldn't wait to ditch it.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Actully I think it was this: Xvive Audio U4 Wireless In-ear Monitoring System

Not a bad idea if it sounded decent. I will have to inquire at rehearsal tomorrow.
And............... an Amazon review..............
"In regards to latency it is very very slightly noticeable. If you are super sensitive it may bother you. I own 4 Shure PSM300 systems and they a far better. I wanted something quick and easy for myself and this is far from that. Simply because it does not work." :confused:

8ftsq

I prefer to use IEMS and that is how I normally roll when I provide sound. But, I'm hiring this guy so I can waltz in 15 minutes before downbeat, grab a beer, setup and go.
So yea, if I want to start using IEMs with other sound people then I need to vet the best/easiest solution.
Drummer brings a small mixer and IEMS.
So those two doofuss's are getting personalized monitor mixes while myself and lead singer (who do 99% of the singing) sit around and prepare to suffer through ****** wedges.
Then the drummer proceeds to bash away on that godamn "crash as ride" with no care in the world because he essentially has ear plugs in... **** THIS NOISE!!! (literally).
As I mentioned before, 2022 is the year of the acoustic duo... and I'm cleaning house for live full band as well.

Maybe this? I have one and it worked well, but bought an XR18 recently for the band and do not need it anymore

hippietim

When I was running the Axe-Fx racked live, I used a Rane SM26 - splitter mixer. It's overkill for the job but it's a fantastic piece.

gigsup

My opinion as a production company and sound provider: the 'IEM- silent stage' thing works best in small venues if the drummer is on board with modeling, and it becomes a PITA if the vocalists, or combination of vocalist and musicians are mixing wedges with ears.
Using traditional acoustic components (live drums, real amps), and mis-matching those with virtual components (live drums, but no bass/guitar amps, or no keyboard amp/wedges)... with some musicians IEM, and others on the floor... you are so done. Total s#!tshow.

It is possible to keep each musician happy with what they've got, but the imbalances of acoustic/virtual kill the live vibe onstage and next to the stage. The audience really notices this in a small room. Plus, once you eliminate the vocal monitors, you still have to set up fills for the audience right on top of you, because they can't hear the vocals from the stage anymore.

I helped set up a touring group with an X32 rack mixer, along with a set of sub snake looms to do patching in any possible club situation (keeping the split 1:1 with the house when possible). They chose whatever ears and buds they wanted to use, and as you would expect, the singers benefit the most, and the musicians who got quality molds are happiest.

For 100% IEM (in small venues) the bands who commit to a complete virtual presentation and rely on their engineers to get it right, win. I won't get into a 'can you top this' of band monitoring f#@k ups, but I just did one of those gigs with a cover band, and it sucked big time.
Because in those Wild West situations, you have some singers walking up to you with their portable IEM rig, some singers using wedges, keyboard players with no monitoring whatsoever stealing serving tray stands, etc... etc... etc...

JasonE

You may want to consider one of the small Yamaha MG mixers. They sound great. The MG06 would be a great utility mixer for this and potentially other uses.

I have one of these and use it for multiple purposes. The main reason I bought it is that I was playing in a band where I was using a PRS P22 guitar and running acoustic as well as electric sounds along with a vocal mic. We had a lot of issues getting everything I needed into my monitor. I used a QSC K8.2 for a monitor. I split off my acoustic sound from an acoustic fly rig and ran one feed to the FOH and the other to this mixer. I then took the monitor feed from the FOH and ran that into another channel of this Yamaha. That way I could blend them into the one monitor cabinet. It solved my issue. I bought the mount for this small mixer so I can clamp it to my mic stand. That puts it right there in front of me where it is easy to reach.

I am now looking at building a solution for running my IEM with an all in one device (Kemper or FM9). I am looking at possibly buying two Shure wireless units when they are back in stock. I can then mount those along with my Sennheiser IEM unit in a rack and have that be one unit to grab and go. I may look at one of these rack mount mixers to put in there as well. I am still thinking through the whole thing and how I want it to work. I would love to be able to put all of this in a half rack but I have not had good luck finding those along with a half rack power supply. I only found one half rack and one half rack power supply and they are a lot more expensive than a standard rack.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom