Best Rock band of the 70s=AC/DC. Fight me.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Thin Lizzy and Foreigner weren’t too shabby, and probably used 5-6 more chord changes per song...more music for your money...just sayin’...

From “it’s a long way...” to “Back in Black” you can’t do any better than those guys. You just can’t. Shoot those albums into space to explain it to the aliens.
I've been screaming it since I was 6..... So 24 years now! The reason I started playing was acdc ! First rock song I ever heard was shook me all night long..... First solo I learned too! Long live Angus!

Strummerfan

OP here, I can’t take Aerosmith as serious competition to ac/dc... I mean, I can only accept challenges from zeppelin, sabbath and of course the stones. Their cases were reviewed but ultimately denied...
I'm with you on the Aerosmith point. ACDC were way more exciting, but Zeppelin and Floyd, just to name two, were way more versatile and influential in the 70's. I know Angus and the boys were a monster presence in the Rock of that decade, but I can't concede them as the greatest.

Mayfield

Gold Supporting Member
OP here, I can’t take Aerosmith as serious competition to ac/dc... I mean, I can only accept challenges from zeppelin, sabbath and of course the stones. Their cases were reviewed but ultimately denied...

LOL...ok gotcha. You are right, Aerosmith uses way too many chords and different song structures, and didn't rip off as many songs as Zep did. So I agree, I wouldn't take Aerosmith as serious competition to AC/DC either. They are way above, not competitors. Hehe....see what I did there?

Coiled

The OP seems to think he makes the final decision here. I say we put it to vote to win this "fight". One vote here for Zep, anyone with me? Let's Veto his denial...

AC/DC was an epic rock and roll band but not in the same league as Zep I'm old and was there doing bucket hits with friends in the basement. Zep was almost always playing with huge Zoso posters hung on the wall. Great memories. Just don't watch the movie, it aged terribly.

Stairway to Heaven would get my vote for greatest rock song of all time without thinking twice. (even though I'm sick to death of it) Big Balls was fun but a bit silly. Now for some reason I feel like hearing Kashmir. The thread may be triggering some flashbacks.

VOTE: Zep final answer.

Last edited:

Ethn Hayabusa

I used to complain about AC/DC, but teaching kids Back in Black and Thunderstruck for the last 20 or so years has definitely paid for a lot of my stuff. I have no problem with them, as long as I don’t have to actually listen to the band. :D

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
The OP seems to think he makes the final decision here. I say we put it to vote to win this "fight". One vote here for Zep, anyone with me? Let's Veto his denial...

AC/DC was an epic rock and roll band but not in the same league as Zep I'm old and was there doing bucket hits with friends in the basement. Zep was almost always playing with huge Zoso posters hung on the wall. Great memories. Just don't watch the movie, it aged terribly.

Stairway to Heaven would get my vote for greatest rock song of all time without thinking twice. (even though I'm sick to death of it) Big Balls was fun but a bit silly. Now for some reason I feel like hearing Kashmir. The thread may be triggering some flashbacks.

VOTE: Zep final answer.
What is this, I think I hear rumblings from the zeppelin contingent. Nonsense. At least ac/dc wrote their own songs.

Silver

I've come to think of AC/DC, at least the Bon era stuff, as a kind of white R&B band. Bogan soul music. They don't belong in the same discussion as any of the other bands being mentioned, and it's in that sense they're the best, the original. No other mix of people at any time could've come up with that particular combination of smut and dry groove in a way that made it good. It's silly to compare.

GH19971

On a different note, how much longer do you guys think AC/DC will last? I read that Malcolm told Angus to keep the band going for as long as possible, which really means for as long as Angus is able and willing to do so. Can Angus really be wearing those shorts and running around on stage in his late 70s? Would they ever be just a studio band?

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
On a different note, how much longer do you guys think AC/DC will last? I read that Malcolm told Angus to keep the band going for as long as possible, which really means for as long as Angus is able and willing to do so. Can Angus really be wearing those shorts and running around on stage in his late 70s? Would they ever be just a studio band?
As long as Angus wants. Same with Mick and Keith. There’s not enough money in being “just” a studio band these days for these guys to make it worth it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom