Best Rock Fake Book

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Janglin_Jack, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

We are playing out and starting to get a few requests. We have been able to play a few tunes, but I think a Fake Book would be helpful to get the chords, lyrics and maybe melodies/riffs of songs our band doesn't know, but might be able to pull off live if requested. Is there a really good one for Rock that someone can recommend I know there are many, I am looking for a solid one.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. stevel

stevel Member

I'm sure there have got to be some out there - somewhere???

The only ones I've seen are those that guys I know have done themselves for the subs in their bands - just a bunch of loose charts.

As a rock player, we just typically know all of these tunes and can play them - or at least enough of them to satisfy the requester.

You might try the "bible" or "white pages" series - they're huge collections of Tab - though not music stand friendly since they're so thick! And of course because of the Tab, some of them are on more pages than a simple lead sheet/chart would be. BUt you guys could kind of gloss over a couple of them each time you rehearse, or during soundcheck, etc. and be familiar enough with them to be able to get through the song.

Start here:

http://www.amazon.com/VH1s-Greatest-Songs-Rock-Piano/dp/0634077511/ref=pd_sim_b_4

(though the reviews are not so good for this particular one).

Try the "enormous" "collossal" and "humongous" books as well - I recall they were pretty good.

HTH,
    Steve

3. henry_the_horse

henry_the_horse Member

You got to be kidding. "Rock" and "Fake book" don't get along in the same sentence, something with traditional notation being too 'smart-ass' for the rockers. :rotflmao

Last session I was doing at a studio, the tech set the microphones and then, as he was leaving the live room for the control room, proceeded to turn the lights off "for my comfort" while I recorded. I told him I was reading the arrangement from a chart (yes, just a chart) and he got upset: "reading is not welcome here, this is rock", he said. Luckily he's just the tech, not the client or the producer.

Regarding your post. There is Hal Leonard "Ultimate Fake Book", which includes jazz, pop and rock standards for weddings and other events gigs. Then the "Pop and Rock Fake Book", and then the "Ultimate Rock Guitar Fake Book", by the same publisher.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. CarlosJesena

CarlosJesena Member

That is exactly the kind of mentality that's getting us all these awful acts like F.O.B., MCR and Paramore. The aversion to progression and learning. Gosh.

5. JonR

JonR Member

I thought Rock was fake anyway. Isn't that the whole point?
    You mean David Bowie really is from Mars?
    Kiss's faces really are black and white?
    Eric Clapton really is from Mississippi?
    The Ramones really were dumb?
    Axl Rose really is in pain when he screams?
    :D

6. henry_the_horse

henry_the_horse Member

I guess it's not the aversion to learning but the jealousy and fear of losing their increasing income -compared to classical and jazz musos- because of inferior knowledge, aptitude or skills. Classical and jazz musicians keep their knowledge, staff reading, juries of international contests, and books to themselves (i.e the science, know-how) and rock & pop musicians keep the big royalties checks to themselves. No tresspassing allowed. It's the Iron Curtain.

Regards

7. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I would of said to him, "What about unsolicited comments from assholes?"