Best Sampler for recording and live?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mingo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. mingo

mingo Member

Do you guys have any recommendations for samplers for recording and playing in a live setting? Looking to make folk-pop based music with electronic twist.

Thanks!

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Have you tried Ableton Live? It's quite interesting.

3. g-nem

g-nem Member

If you want to use a computer, ableton live is the easiest and maybe best way to go.

If you want a standalone sampler, the boss sp-303 is supposed to be pretty good.

What are you looking for in a sampler? Are you planning on using it to play drum loops for a whole song, to sequence chord progressions, to do one shot samples, what? Different samplers will give you different things.

4. mingo

mingo Member

thanks for your replies...i'll look into those products.

i want to sample some drum stuff, and maybe do chord progressions.

anything i would have on an album that i can't do live. just to make it sound as close as possible

but i'm interetsed in learning more about doing that sutff to put on an album. does anyone have any advice on how to start learning about them and using them?

5. flicker180

flicker180 Member

the Native Instruments stuff is VERY good. I've got the complete "set" including Kontakt, Kompakt, Battery, et. al and while they've got a learning curve, they are VERY powerful.

dave

6. g-nem

g-nem Member

It sounds like you're looking to be able to play backing tracks for songs live, as wel as do some loop based recording. In that case using ableton and a laptop will probably be your best bet. If you haven't ever used a sampler the native instrument stuff might have too much of qa learning curve for you.

7. mingo

mingo Member

sounds good, thanks for the reply... i'm watching some demo videos for abelton live. looks cool.

any other recomendations that would be cheaper than buying a laptop and the software??

would the boss be good?? does it have stock samples in it already?? is is very versitile? and also easy to use?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

MPC's are your friend. :)

and i have yet to see a DJ use abe over a good used MPC.

9. g-nem

g-nem Member

Excellent suggestion- MPC's are defintely a good way to go- but I have a feeling that Mingo might be more comfortable using ableton's interface. But he should check out an mpc.

10. g-nem

g-nem Member

The sp303 is pretty basic- it does come with samples, and you can sequence them together, but to perfrom music that has a lot of different sections or changes you'd be better off with a more pwerful sampler. The sp303 is great as a simple sampler to trigger sampler or do simple loops.

Not that I've ever used one, but that's what I'm told;-)

11. mingo

mingo Member

is this what you are talking about when you say mpc??

an Akai MPC ?

12. g-nem

g-nem Member

Yeah- still not a cheap option, but cheaper than a laptop and more gigable, probably.