Best SC Tele Bridge pup for.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by strat6866, Apr 15, 2008.

1. strat6866

strat6866 Member

for mid gain classic rock stuff.

2. ParaGuitarMedic

ParaGuitarMedic Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquity I. Hands down what you are describing. My favorite pup of all time!

3. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

How do Ant Is and IIs differ?

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Great p/up (Antiquity SD), but I switched to Dimarzio Area T`s due to single coil hum. I`d say I`m just as happy w/them,and minus the 60 cycle hum.

5. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

The Ant I's use alnico 2 mags and the Ant II's use alnico 5. The Ant I's are available with flat poles or staggered poles ('55 version), whereas the Ant II's are staggered only.

I have Ant I flatpole lead pickups in two different American Series Teles, and they are superb with smooth highs, chewy mids, and solid lows. They respond very well to vol and tone pot manipulations and react well to OD. I also like the SD Jerry Donahue lead, which is a bit fatter and louder sounding than the Ant I but has slightly less low end response. The Fender CS Nocaster is also excellent with a bit more of that steely Tele sound, and I like the Nocaster neck pickup a little more than the Ant I neck pickup.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I hate to say it but you're gonna have to try and experiment

all of our guitars are different

I really like the Ant IIs "Tele Twang" model - it's more early / mid 60's - total Jimmy Page !!

Do you have an ASH or ALDER body ?? RW board ?? That all makes a difference too

Call Don Mare - tell him about your guitar and what you want it sound like - for a little more than the Ant p/up, you'll get a pickup that you are sure to love

Or do a search - there's already 100 threads with everybody chiming in to say what pickup they like - IN THEIR GUITAR. But I've taken pickups out that I hated - stuck in something else and they were "the perfect pickup"

buy used - if you dont like it - sell it and get another

I hate to say it - but thats the answer to your question

I've had extremely CONSISTENT luck w/ Peter Florance. I also really like some of the special winds that Jason Lollar does. The Stuart and Hamel stuff is also fantastic but expensive.

If you try a few pickups - the guitar will speak to you and let you know when the right pickup is in there - it's like magic :)

7. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I have one Tele with Lolar Special T that I love clean, so so with drive pedal and one with SD 52T that is a bit ice picky on the high end and weak on the low end that i am considering swapping out.
    I want something that really rocks without going to an HB (got that covered).
    I just want some input/ideas from the tele experts without wading through hundreds of pages of shite.

8. strat6866

strat6866 Member

.....and by the way, its an alder body with rosewood board. Same as my other Tele.

9. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

all the Ants will be noticebly brighter than the Lollar Special

If you could change the Lollar special , what would you change ? That may help give you some ideas.

do you want it phatter / thicker than a Special ?? That's getting pretty thick for a tele bridge - try a Voodoo FAT series tele bridge. It's wound even hotter than a Lollar Special and still has a lot of harmonics

Or go cheap and get a Duncan 1/4er. Too thick for a tele IMHO but some rock guys love it

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You also might want to call Don Mare. I think his 0038 might be what you're looking for.

www.donmarepickups.com

Good luck in your search

11. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Nothing wrong with the Lollar at all, i like it alot but have something a little different in mind for the other tele. maybe something similar to a fender wide range HB but in a single coil, something that can handle gain really nicely.
    been thinking about muy grande or a tallboy if anyone has had any experience with either of those.

12. strat6866

strat6866 Member

greg,
    those look like they might do the trick, i'll be looking into them.

13. strat6866

strat6866 Member

night time tele experts?